Best edition of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics

In summary, the third edition of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is more up to date with respect to computational methods but some people may not like the switching between units.
d.zanellato
Hello.

What's the best edition of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well first of all I'm not sure about what you mean by "the best edition". Second, I have not used formally Jackson for any of my EM courses (I'm still undergrad) but I've been through some parts of the book using its second and first edition. Many of the information that I will tell you is on the Introduction part of the 3rd edition.

You see, the main difference is that the 1st and 2nd have this chapter on Magnetohidrodynamics, which the 3rd edition doesn't contain. Then there's the issue with the units, the 3rd edition uses SI units for a large part of the book (unlike the earlier ones) but returns to Gaussian units in the last chapters (you may or may not find this a good thing, depending on which units you are more comfortable with, I think).

I don't remember everything that the Introductions mentioned but you can find them all three in the 3rd edition and then judge by yourself.

The 3rd edition is more up to date with respect to computational methods of calculating fields. The first two editions were written before computers were widely used in electromagnetics.

As for going back and forth in units, that is a skill that any physicist needs.

I liked the second edition best but that might be because I had it the longest. I did prefer the units in the third edition though. I do not remember why I did not like the third edition as much. I remember the first time I took the book out of the library it was the first edition. The second edition was red; the first was green, and the third was blue. I have even heard the books described as Jackson-Green; Jackson-Red, and Jackson-Blue.

For me it's the contrary. I like the 2nd edition best, because it uses Gaussian units. That's close to the perfect system of units, which is the Heaviside-Lorentz system, i.e., rationalized Gaussian units used in (theoretical) high-energy particle physics.

1. What is the difference between the different editions of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

The main difference between the different editions of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is the inclusion of new research and developments in the field of classical electrodynamics. Each edition builds upon the previous one and includes updates and improvements to the content and examples.

2. Which edition of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is considered the best?

The third edition of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is considered the best by many scientists and educators. It includes the most comprehensive and up-to-date information on classical electrodynamics and has been praised for its clear and concise explanations.

3. Are there any major changes between the third and fourth edition of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

Yes, the fourth edition of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics includes new topics such as gravitational waves, electromagnetic wave propagation in plasma, and the Aharonov-Bohm effect. It also has updated examples and problems, making it a valuable resource for researchers and students.

4. Is it necessary to own multiple editions of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

It is not necessary, but it can be beneficial to have access to multiple editions of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics for comparison and reference. However, the most recent edition is typically recommended for the most up-to-date information and advancements in the field.

5. Can the earlier editions of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics still be used for learning and research?

Yes, the earlier editions of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics are still valuable resources for learning and research. While they may not include the most recent advancements, the core principles and theories remain the same. It is always recommended to supplement with current research and developments in the field.