Hydrogen to Helium Helium to heavier elements

In summary: Deuterium is created when two Hydrogen atoms fuse together. This process is slow, and it only lasts for a short period of time.
p.falk
Would someone mind (in simple terms if possible) explaining how at the beginning of the universe Hydrogen combined to give Helium; then then how Helium combined with deuterium to create the heavier elements?

I would just like to be more versed on this process...
Thanks for any help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
p.falk said:
Would someone mind (in simple terms if possible) explaining how at the beginning of the universe Hydrogen combined to give Helium; then then how Helium combined with deuterium to create the heavier elements?

I would just like to be more versed on this process...
Thanks for any help!
Short answer: stars "burn" via nuclear fusion. Hydrogen atoms combine to form helium. As helium concentrations get higher, helium atoms fuse to form heavier elements. If the star goes supernova, the resulting explosion is powerful enough for endothermic fusion of heavier elements into really heavy elements.

But I thought a Helium can't combine with another Helium atom because the result would be too unstable. If a Helium(2 protons/2neutrons) combines with a Helium you have 8 particles... but atoms with 5 or 8 particles are unstable.
That's why I wanted to know what role deuterium plays in this...
How is deuterium created? How long does it last on it's own? What are the steps from Hydrogen to Helium to heavier elements?

I appreciate your response russ_watters, I guess I would like some more detail with it though.
Thanks for helping...

The sun produces energy primarily by the PP reaction and about 1-2% by the CNO cycle. The CNO cycle occurs in more massive stars -

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/energy/cno-pp.html
http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/Academics/Astr221/StarPhys/ppchain.html
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/energy/cno.html - for CNO discussion

In addition to H and He, there are quantities of Li, Be and B, and they will be producing their emission spectra as well.

See also - http://www-phys.llnl.gov/Research/RRSN/ [Broken]

and

Helium Burning in Stars

In the second link above, one will find
ppchain.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the process of converting hydrogen to helium and helium to heavier elements?

The process of converting hydrogen to helium and helium to heavier elements is known as nuclear fusion. This occurs in the cores of stars where intense heat and pressure cause hydrogen atoms to fuse together to form helium. As the star continues to burn, the helium atoms fuse together to create heavier elements like carbon, oxygen, and iron.

2. How does the conversion of hydrogen to helium and helium to heavier elements release energy?

The conversion of hydrogen to helium and helium to heavier elements releases energy because the mass of the resulting elements is slightly less than the initial mass of the atoms. This difference in mass is converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². This energy is what fuels the heat and light emitted by stars.

3. Can hydrogen and helium be converted into heavier elements artificially?

Yes, hydrogen and helium can be artificially converted into heavier elements through a process called nuclear transmutation. This involves bombarding these elements with high-energy particles to alter their atomic structure and create heavier elements. This process is used in nuclear reactors and particle accelerators to create elements like gold and platinum.

4. How do we know that hydrogen and helium are the building blocks of all other elements?

Scientists know that hydrogen and helium are the building blocks of all other elements through the process of spectroscopy. By analyzing the light emitted by stars, scientists can identify the elements present in their atmospheres. The majority of the light from stars comes from hydrogen and helium, providing strong evidence that they are the most abundant elements in the universe.

5. Is the conversion of hydrogen to helium and helium to heavier elements a continuous process?

Yes, the conversion of hydrogen to helium and helium to heavier elements is a continuous process in the cores of stars. As long as there is a sufficient supply of hydrogen, the fusion reactions will continue, producing heavier elements. However, once the star runs out of hydrogen, the fusion process will slow down or stop, and the star will eventually die.