Advice for starting out in research

• Thread starter Violagirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the individual will be volunteering as an undergraduate student in a biomedical research facility, primarily helping with basic tasks and working on a project with a postdoc. They have not done research before and are nervous, especially about making reagents. They have a few questions about starting out and making reagents, and are hoping to receive guidance and instruction from the lab. They are grateful for any advice and are eager to learn and make the most of the opportunity.
Violagirl
Starting this next week, I will be involved with volunteering as an undergraduate student in a biomedical research facility. I will be helping out the postdoc around the lab on a project that he is currently working on and I will be primarily involved with helping out with basic tasks around the lab (making reagents, taking care of the mice in the lab, etc.) I have not done research before outside of the classroom and am nervous about what to expect, especially with making reagents. I don't much confidence when it comes to working in the lab as I had a few not so great moments in taking biology and O Chem lab last year.

For anyone that's done research, I had a few questions, mostly about starting out and making reagents. If the lab knows you have not done research before, do they generally start out in showing you how to do different protocols? Second, for making reagents, do you generally follow a specific protocol on what is needed for that particular solution? Also for making reagents, if you need to adjust the procedure to make a specific amount that's different from what is given in the procedure, how do you best determine how much less of each solution to use to make the solution?

Thanks to anyone that reads through this, it's very much appreciated as I'm really nervous about starting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Volunteering to do real research is a great way to learn experimental skills properly. You don't need to worry about not knowing what to do - they will pretty much expect you to know nothing. You are not just going to be unleashed in a lab to do whatever you want since this would be dangerous and counter-productive if you make a lot of mistakes. Usually, the postdoc would show you what to do. You would normally be doing something that would be used directly in the postdocs research so it is in their interests to show you how to do things properly. In my old lab, supervising undergrad students basically involves babysitting them for the first weeks or so. You'll gradually be given freedom once you've convinced people you know what you're doing. Its a great way to learn because you essentially have one-to-one tuition from an experienced researcher. The best thing you can do is ask lots of questions and make the most out of it. Get comfortable doing the basics and hopefully they will let you do something more interesting. In research (as with life) you have to make opportunities for yourself so if there is something that you don't understand/want to get more involved in, then ask around and make it happen.

1. How do I choose a research topic?

Choosing a research topic can be a daunting task, but it's important to choose something that you are passionate about and interested in. Start by reading published articles in your field of interest to get a better understanding of current research and potential gaps in knowledge. Then, brainstorm ideas and narrow it down to a specific research question that you can explore.

2. What are the key skills needed for research?

Some key skills needed for research include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, time management, and effective communication. You should also have a strong foundation in your field of study, as well as knowledge of research methods and data analysis techniques.

3. How do I find a research mentor?

Finding a research mentor can greatly benefit your research experience. Start by networking with professors and graduate students in your field and expressing your interest in research. You can also reach out to potential mentors directly and ask if they have any available research opportunities. It's important to find a mentor who is knowledgeable, supportive, and has similar research interests.

4. What are some common challenges in research?

Some common challenges in research include obtaining funding, dealing with unexpected setbacks, managing time and resources, and balancing multiple research projects. It's important to be patient, persistent, and adaptable when facing challenges in research.

5. How do I stay organized in my research?

Organization is crucial in research to ensure that you stay on track and meet deadlines. Some tips for staying organized include creating a research timeline, setting goals and priorities, keeping detailed notes, and using a project management system. It's also important to regularly communicate with your research team and mentor to stay on the same page.