Ax=b1 and Ax=b2 are consistent. Is the system Ax=b1+b2 necessarily consistent?

• Thread starter iamzzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, we can prove that the system Ax=b1+b2 is necessarily consistent by showing that any solution to Ax=b1 and Ax=b2 can also be a solution to Ax=b1+b2. This is because (x1+x2) can be substituted for x in the equation A(x1+x2)=Ax1+Ax2.
iamzzz

Homework Statement

Suppose A is m*n matrix b1 and b2 are m*1 vector and the systems Ax=b1 and Ax=b2 are consistent. Is the system Ax=b1+b2 necessarily consistent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think Ax = b1 + b2 should be consistent but i don't know how to prove..

Physics news on Phys.org
iamzzz said:

Homework Statement

Suppose A is m*n matrix b1 and b2 are m*1 vector and the systems Ax=b1 and Ax=b2 are consistent. Is the system Ax=b1+b2 necessarily consistent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think Ax = b1 + b2 should be consistent but i don't know how to prove..

No thoughts about how to prove at all? A(x1+x2)=Ax1+Ax2. Think about it some more.

Dick said:
No thoughts about how to prove at all? A(x1+x2)=Ax1+Ax2. Think about it some more.

let x1 be the solution of Ax1=b1 and x2 be the solution of Ax2=b2

So Ax1+Ax2=b1+b2=A(x1+x2)
so (x1+x2)could be x
prove ?
Is this correct ?

iamzzz said:
let x1 be the solution of Ax1=b1 and x2 be the solution of Ax2=b2

So Ax1+Ax2=b1+b2=A(x1+x2)
so (x1+x2)could be x
prove ?
Is this correct ?

I would say let x1 be ANY solution to Ax=b. There may be more than one. But why are you asking "Is this correct?". What part of it are you worried about?

Dick said:
I would say let x1 be ANY solution to Ax=b. There may be more than one. But why are you asking "Is this correct?". What part of it are you worried about?
I mean does that prove the problem ?

Anyway thanks for the help

iamzzz said:
I mean does that prove the problem ?

Anyway thanks for the help

I'm just saying I would feel better if you KNEW it solved the problem instead of having to ask. Yes, it's fine.

1. Is it possible for both Ax=b1 and Ax=b2 to be consistent?

Yes, it is possible for both equations to be consistent. This means that there is at least one solution that satisfies both equations simultaneously.

2. How can I determine if a system of equations is consistent?

A system of equations is consistent if and only if it has at least one solution. This can be determined by solving the equations and checking if there is a set of values that satisfies all the equations.

3. What does it mean for a system of equations to be inconsistent?

A system of equations is inconsistent if there is no set of values that satisfies all the equations. In other words, the equations are contradictory and cannot be solved simultaneously.

4. If Ax=b1 and Ax=b2 are both consistent, is the system Ax=b1+b2 necessarily consistent?

Not necessarily. Just because both equations are consistent does not mean that their sum will also be consistent. It is possible for b1 and b2 to have different values that do not result in a consistent solution when added together.

5. Can a consistent system of equations have no solution?

No, a consistent system of equations must have at least one solution. If there is no solution, then the system is inconsistent.