Find Impulse Response of LTI system given transfer function

In summary: This yields the impulse response of the system as:In summary, the impulse response of a system with transfer function H(S) = (s+3)/(s^2+2s+1) is (s+3)/[(s+1)^2] and has a magnitude of (s+3)/[s+6].
f00lishroy

Homework Statement

Find the impulse response of a system with transfer function H(S) = (s+3)/(s^2+2s+1)

or H(S)=(s+3)/[(s+1)^2]

Homework Equations

Poles are s1=s2=-1

y = Ae^st + Be^st

The Attempt at a Solution

In my notes I do not have an answer for the case when there is only one pole (root) to the denominator of the transfer function.

I know the cover-up method and it doesn't look like it will work here.

Also tried solving for the step response and differentiating to get the impulse response as shown here: http://tinyurl.com/c5uhzcv

But I cannot find the step response that way either. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
f00lishroy said:
In my notes I do not have an answer for the case when there is only one pole (root) to the denominator of the transfer function.

I'm sure you do -- look for mention of repeated roots.

A partial fraction expansion of a root repeated to the nth power involves sums of all fractions with the root raised to powers 1 through n. This is because the common denominator of these terms is (s+1)n and the numerator must be able to achieve a power in s of (n-1) to be completely general.

In this case,

[itex]H(s)=\frac{s+3}{(s+1)^2}=\frac{A}{s+1}+\frac{B}{(s+1)^2}[/itex]

aralbrec said:
In this case,

[itex]H(s)=\frac{s+3}{(s+1)^2}=\frac{A}{s+1}+\frac{B}{(s+1)^2}[/itex]

If you add the fractions back together, the A will add an As term and the B will supply a constant term in the numerator.

You already know the inverse transform of the first fraction. Whenever factors in the denominator are taken to a power, in the time domain they are multiplied by t to that power-1. So the second fraction will invert as t^1 times the inverse of 1/(s+1)

1. What is an impulse response of an LTI system?

An impulse response is the output of a linear time-invariant (LTI) system when an impulse input is applied. It represents the system's characteristics and how it responds to a sudden change in the input.

2. How is the impulse response related to the transfer function of an LTI system?

The impulse response is the inverse Fourier transform of the transfer function. This means that the transfer function can be obtained by taking the Fourier transform of the impulse response.

3. What is the importance of finding the impulse response of an LTI system?

The impulse response is essential in understanding the behavior and characteristics of an LTI system. It can be used to analyze and design filters, control systems, and other signal processing applications.

4. How do you find the impulse response of an LTI system given its transfer function?

The impulse response can be found by taking the inverse Fourier transform of the transfer function. This can be done analytically or using numerical methods, such as the inverse Fourier transform algorithm.

5. Can the impulse response of an LTI system change over time?

No, the impulse response of an LTI system remains constant over time as long as the system remains linear and time-invariant. It only changes if there are changes in the system's parameters or structure.