Song - A Finite Simple Group (Of Order two)

In summary, "Song - A Finite Simple Group (Of Order two)" is a humorous song written by mathematician and singer-songwriter Tom Lehrer. It is a parody of love songs and uses mathematical concepts to describe a romantic relationship between two elements of a finite simple group. The title is a play on words, highlighting the use of music to explain mathematical concepts. The lyrics reference abstract algebra, group theory, and set theory, making it a useful teaching tool for mathematics. Tom Lehrer wrote this song to make abstract concepts more accessible and entertaining.
snoble
This video has started bouncing around my math department and I thought I would share. It's a math love song by these http://www.math.northwestern.edu/~matt/kleinfour/ .

Perhaps this isn't the most productive use of this forum but I think everybody will get a kick out of this.

Enjoy,
Steven

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's so lame, but still very funny :biggrin: :rofl:

That was awesome :rofl: Thanks for sharing.

Hahhahaha, Yes pretty funny. Who said Mathematics terminology couldn't be used for songs? :rofl:

That just made my day. Thanks!

What is "Song - A Finite Simple Group (Of Order two)" about?

"Song - A Finite Simple Group (Of Order two)" is a humorous song written by mathematician and singer-songwriter Tom Lehrer. It is a parody of love songs and uses mathematical concepts to describe a romantic relationship between two elements of a finite simple group, which is a type of mathematical group.

What is the significance of the title "Song - A Finite Simple Group (Of Order two)"?

The title is a play on words, as "finite simple group of order two" is a common phrase used in mathematics to describe a specific type of group. By adding "song" to the title, Lehrer is highlighting the use of music to explain mathematical concepts.

What are some examples of mathematical concepts referenced in the lyrics?

The lyrics of "Song - A Finite Simple Group (Of Order two)" include references to abstract algebra, group theory, and set theory. Some examples include the use of the words "identity," "inverse," and "closure," which all have specific meanings in mathematics.

Who is Tom Lehrer and why did he write this song?

Tom Lehrer is an American mathematician, songwriter, and satirist. He is known for writing humorous songs about various topics, including science and mathematics. He wrote "Song - A Finite Simple Group (Of Order two)" as a way to make abstract mathematical concepts more accessible and entertaining.

Can this song be used as a teaching tool for mathematics?

Yes, many mathematicians and educators have used "Song - A Finite Simple Group (Of Order two)" as a teaching tool for abstract algebra and group theory. The catchy melody and clever lyrics can help students remember important concepts and make the subject more enjoyable.