Double Pipe Heat Exchanger books

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of double pipe heat exchangers and the availability of resources for further study. The speaker mentions having studied books and online articles, but is interested in other sources for their upcoming lecture. Another person provides their opinion that double pipe heat exchangers are a basic type and may only be suitable for small scale uses, and suggests that any textbook should provide enough information for a lecture. The purpose of the lecture is also mentioned as potentially being a lab course or a temporary replacement for an instructor.
fghjk
hello.
I am asked to give a lecture on double pipe heat exchanger . I have studied books like process heat transfer by D.Kern and some online articles. I was wondering if other complete sources are available about http://scopewe.com/double-pipe-heat-exchanger-design-part-1/. I would appreciate if you could introduce some sources to me.
thx for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
um.. I'm probably not the best person to comment, but isn't double pipe the most basic type of shell/tube heat exchanger? to my knowledge, this type is only good for small scale uses, and very rarely seen in industrial applications. I'm guessing this is for a lab course or something where students get some hands on experience on heat exchangers, and get to know the basics of heat transfer? I mean in my opinion, any competent textbook should give you enough information to go through a full lecture. Is this like a 40 minute lecture where you're filling in for an instructor? just curious

1. What is a double pipe heat exchanger?

A double pipe heat exchanger is a type of heat transfer device commonly used in industrial processes. It consists of two concentric pipes, one inside the other, with the fluid to be heated or cooled flowing through the inner pipe and the heating or cooling fluid flowing through the outer pipe. The two fluids exchange heat through the pipe walls, resulting in a more efficient transfer of thermal energy.

2. How does a double pipe heat exchanger work?

A double pipe heat exchanger works by utilizing the principle of heat transfer through conduction. The hot or cold fluid flowing through the outer pipe transfers its thermal energy to the fluid flowing through the inner pipe, which then carries the heat to its destination. The rate of heat transfer depends on factors such as the temperature difference between the two fluids, the type of fluids, and the design of the heat exchanger.

3. What are the advantages of using a double pipe heat exchanger?

There are several advantages to using a double pipe heat exchanger. Firstly, it has a simple and compact design, making it easy to install and maintain. It also has a high heat transfer efficiency, resulting in lower energy costs. Additionally, it can handle a wide range of fluid temperatures and is suitable for both heating and cooling applications.

4. What are some common applications of double pipe heat exchangers?

Double pipe heat exchangers are commonly used in various industries such as chemical, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, and HVAC. They are used for processes such as heating or cooling liquids, gases, and vapors, as well as for recovering waste heat from exhaust streams. They are also used in air conditioning systems to transfer heat between the indoor and outdoor air.

5. How do I choose the right double pipe heat exchanger for my application?

Choosing the right double pipe heat exchanger depends on several factors, including the type of fluids, the required heat transfer rate, and the temperature and pressure of the fluids. It is important to consult with an experienced engineer to determine the most suitable design and materials for your specific application. Factors such as corrosion resistance, thermal efficiency, and maintenance requirements should also be taken into consideration.