RIP Frederick I. Ordway III

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nasa Rip
In summary, Frederick I. Ordway III was an American space scientist, author, and historian who made significant contributions to the fields of astronautics and space exploration. He passed away on July 1, 2014 at the age of 87. Some of his notable achievements include co-authoring the book "The Rocket Team" with Wernher von Braun, serving as a consultant for Stanley Kubrick's film "2001: A Space Odyssey", and being a founding member of the National Space Society. He also played a crucial role in the development of the Apollo program by providing technical assistance and writing documents and reports for NASA. His legacy includes his contributions to the fields of astronautics and space exploration, his extensive research and documentation of
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
He was a NASA official whose boyhood interest in science fiction and later friendship with Arthur C. Clarke led to his becoming Stanley Kubrick's chief technical and scientific advisor during the production of "2001: A Space Odyssey."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/us/14ordway.html?_r=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A well accomplished life! RIP!

1. Who was Frederick I. Ordway III?

Frederick I. Ordway III was an American space scientist, author, and historian who made significant contributions to the fields of astronautics and space exploration. He worked closely with rocket pioneer Wernher von Braun and was a key figure in the development of the Apollo program.

2. When did Frederick I. Ordway III pass away?

Frederick I. Ordway III passed away on July 1, 2014, at the age of 87.

3. What were some of Frederick I. Ordway III's notable achievements?

Some of Frederick I. Ordway III's notable achievements include co-authoring the book "The Rocket Team" with Wernher von Braun, serving as a consultant for Stanley Kubrick's film "2001: A Space Odyssey", and being a founding member of the National Space Society.

4. How did Frederick I. Ordway III contribute to the Apollo program?

Frederick I. Ordway III played a crucial role in the development of the Apollo program by providing technical assistance and writing documents and reports for NASA. He also helped create the famous Apollo 11 mission patch.

5. What is Frederick I. Ordway III's legacy?

Frederick I. Ordway III's legacy includes his contributions to the fields of astronautics and space exploration, his extensive research and documentation of the history of spaceflight, and his passion for inspiring future generations of scientists and engineers.