Total energy of a dielectric sphere

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the total electric energy of a dielectric sphere placed in a parallel-plate capacitor. The person has searched for a solution but is struggling with understanding the concept. They suggest using the relationship U=1/2*EPSILON(0)E^2 but are unsure how to apply it to find the total energy. Another person offers a hint to approach the problem from a potential standpoint.
hhh79bigo
Total energy of a dielectric sphere please help!

I have a problem that I can not do after searching the net and looking through my notes and textbook. I think it is a basic electomagnetic field question but i just can't get my head around it.

The question is:

The electric field E inside a dielectric sphere placed between the plates of a large parallel-plate capacitor is uniform. Given that the sphere has a relative dielectric constant "epsilon"(r) and radius r, find an expression for the total electric energy of the sphere.

I was considering using the relationship

U=1/2*"EPSILON(0)"E^2

Where U is the energy density and "EPSILON(0)" is the permitivity of free space and E is the electric field.

But I don't know how to take this to get an expression for the total energy of the dielectric.

Can anyone help me? I would really appreciate it

Thanks

hhh79bigo

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea here is a basic boundary value problem. You know the field is constant outside, how does it change at the boundary of the dielectric? Once you have the equation of the electric field inside, integrate it over the volume of the sphere then plug it into your equation for the total energy U.

(hint: what are the boundary equations on the E and D field between the vacuum and the dielectric? Or... do it from a potential standpoint... lots of ways to do this problem)

cheers for that I shall be pondering on this later on

Thanks

1. What is the total energy of a dielectric sphere?

The total energy of a dielectric sphere is the sum of its electric and magnetic energies, which are determined by the properties of the material, its size and shape, and the electric and magnetic fields surrounding it.

2. How is the total energy of a dielectric sphere calculated?

The total energy of a dielectric sphere can be calculated using the following formula: E = (1/2)εV² + (1/2)μV², where ε is the permittivity of the material, μ is the permeability, and V is the volume of the sphere.

3. What is the significance of the total energy of a dielectric sphere?

The total energy of a dielectric sphere is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in materials. It can also be used to calculate the force exerted on the sphere by the surrounding fields.

4. How does the total energy of a dielectric sphere change with the presence of an electric field?

The total energy of a dielectric sphere increases with the presence of an electric field, as the electric energy component in the formula increases. This is due to the polarization of the dielectric material in response to the electric field.

5. Can the total energy of a dielectric sphere be negative?

No, the total energy of a dielectric sphere cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as both the electric and magnetic energies are positive quantities. A negative value would imply a violation of energy conservation laws.