Helicopter Problem: Calculating Lift Force on Rotors

• Thread starter ebola_virus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helicopter
In summary, the question asks for the lift force exerted by the air on the rotors of a 13,000kg helicopter that is accelerating upward at 0.41m/s^2 while lifting a 900kg car. There were two contradictory posts regarding the solution, but the correct approach is to use the equation F_{lift} - M g = Ma where M is the combined mass. The exact answer depends on the value of g, but it is approximately 141,919 N.
ebola_virus
There were two posts reltaed to this question but both of them are so contradictory; the question goes

a 13,000kg helicopter accelerates upward at 0.41m/s^2 while lifting a 900kg car. to the nearest Newton what is the lift force exerted by the air on the rotors?

now one post would be

Fnet = (13000)(9.8) + (900)(9.8)

which in a sense is what we are looking for (but unfortunately, is wrong for some reason)

and so i don't know what piece of hte puzzple I am missing; I am sure the 0.41m/s^2 comes in at some point. Is it the force required to accerleate the helicopter? If so what would that be.. I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, the acceleration does come in at some point! :)

HINT: The sum of the forces is mass times acceleration.

i cn't tell what I am getting wrong becuase its an online question where i plug in the values and get answers.. and thing is i keep getting values off by like. twenty or something. what i did is, fully:

(13000)(9.8) + (900)(9.8) ------- (1)

then i obtained

(13909)(0.41) ------- (2)

added the two together. am i right?

Ask yourself what is the direction of each of the forces?

each of the forces as in?

As in the force of gravity and the force of lift. You were on the right track:

[tex]F_{lift} - M g = Ma[/tex]

where M is the combined mass so [itex]F_{lift} = M(g + a)[/itex]. I am not totally surprised that the numbers are off since it makes no sense to ask for the lift to the nearest Newton given data accurate to only two significant digits (shame on the authors for doing that!)

Using g = 9.8 m/s^2 I get 141,919 N (blindly retaining all the digits after the 4).

1. What is the Helicopter Problem?

The Helicopter Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the lift force on the rotors of a helicopter. This is important because it determines the maximum weight that a helicopter can carry and how high it can fly.

2. How is lift force calculated on helicopter rotors?

Lift force on helicopter rotors is calculated using the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. In the case of helicopter rotors, the air moving over the top of the rotor moves faster than the air underneath, creating a difference in pressure and resulting in lift force.

3. What factors affect the lift force on helicopter rotors?

The lift force on helicopter rotors is affected by several factors, including the angle of attack of the rotor blades, the speed of the rotor blades, the air density, and the size and shape of the rotor blades.

4. How does the angle of attack affect lift force on helicopter rotors?

The angle of attack, which is the angle at which the rotor blades meet the oncoming air, plays a crucial role in determining the lift force on helicopter rotors. If the angle is too high, the air can become turbulent, resulting in a decrease in lift force. If the angle is too low, there may not be enough lift force to keep the helicopter in the air.

5. How is the lift force on helicopter rotors used in real-world applications?

The lift force on helicopter rotors is essential in determining the maximum weight that a helicopter can carry, as well as its maximum altitude and speed. This information is crucial for pilots when planning flights and determining the capabilities of different helicopter models.