What are some suggestions for a 11th grade Classical Mechanics project?

• Thread starter dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary: Please tell me what ill see, its not easy to get helium baloons where I live. I am guessing that the rope will deviate from the vertical and the baloon will oscillate. is that right?
dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
We have been studying Classical Mechanics this term (11th grade) and I will have to do some project in it when I go back to school for the second term (perform an experiment, construct an instrument etc.). I would like to do something which is instructive and insightful. If you can suggest something, I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www4.umdnj.edu/camlbweb/scifair.html [Broken]

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link ZapperZ. I've looked through the site, but I need to pay for most of what they offer. The type of thing I need to do is to experimentally verify some principle or calculate some constant (like g) or build some machine which clearly demonstrates something (like atwoods machine or an air trough). I would appreciate it if some one could give me particular examples of possible projects. I don't want things that are just cool to look at.

What about getting a helium filled balloon, tie a string to it, get onto a train, and while holding on the other end of the string, watch it as the train starts to move (accelerate) forward. You'll see something puzzling that you can write about and explain.

Zz.

Hm.. I really can't get onto a train right now. And I am not sure where I can buy a helium filled baloon. Mybe ill try it standing on a car if I find a baloon. But just for now, to think about it, can you tell me what ill see?

dx said:
Hm.. I really can't get onto a train right now. And I am not sure where I can buy a helium filled baloon. Mybe ill try it standing on a car if I find a baloon. But just for now, to think about it, can you tell me what ill see?

Nope. You just have to do it yourself.

Zz.

Would it be ok if I held the baloon and started running? or does it have to be a gradual acceleration to percieve the effect?

dx said:
Would it be ok if I held the baloon and started running? or does it have to be a gradual acceleration to percieve the effect?

No, this will not work.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What about getting a helium filled balloon, tie a string to it, get onto a train, and while holding on the other end of the string, watch it as the train starts to move (accelerate) forward. You'll see something puzzling that you can write about and explain.

Zz.
This experiment would be even better by first using a balloon filled with regular air for comparrison. Nice idea, Zz.

z-component said:
This experiment would be even better by first using a balloon filled with regular air for comparrison. Nice idea, Zz.

Or go all the way and fill it with water!

:)

Zz.

Please tell me what ill see, its not easy to get helium baloons where I live. I am guessing that the rope will deviate from the vertical and the baloon will oscillate. is that right?

1. What should I consider when choosing a project?

When choosing a project, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and available resources. You should also think about the potential impact and relevance of your project to the scientific community and society as a whole.

2. How do I come up with a unique and innovative project idea?

One way to come up with a unique and innovative project idea is to read current research articles and attend scientific conferences to stay updated on the latest developments in your field. You can also brainstorm with your colleagues and mentors to generate new ideas.

3. Should I choose a project that aligns with my career goals?

Yes, it is beneficial to choose a project that aligns with your career goals as it will allow you to gain experience and expertise in your desired field of research. This can also make it easier to secure future funding and job opportunities.

4. How do I ensure my project is feasible and achievable?

To ensure your project is feasible and achievable, it is important to carefully plan and consider the resources and time available to you. You should also consult with your mentor or supervisor to assess the feasibility of your project and make any necessary adjustments.

5. How do I balance my project with other academic and personal commitments?

Balancing your project with other academic and personal commitments can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. This may involve setting realistic goals and deadlines, seeking support from your mentor or peers, and learning to delegate tasks when necessary.