Difference between Computer Science and Software Engineering

In summary: Yes, you would end up in the same area of study as a CS major. However, you would specialize in software engineering and focus on software design, software testing and debugging, and other software-related skills.
GreatEscapist
So, when I'm looking at the college I'm pretty sure I want to go to, they offer CS. At some colleges, I've noticed that they have CS AND software engineering. So, is there a difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Software engineer has more of a programming/OS/practical apps focus, whereas CS usually has a an even mix of theory and practical, skewed one way or another depending on the school.

So, Software engineering is just a part of CS?

think of it like the difference between chemistry and chemical engineering. There is a lot of overlap, but the focus in software engineering will always be on creating software, so there will be more of a focus on software design, software testing and debugging ect... Computer Science is the science of information and processes on information, just like chemistry can be thought of as the science of matter. Computer Science can be more theoretical, and includes areas such as artificial intelligence, theory of computation, computer graphics ect... Of course these are just general definitions about the fields themselves, if you want to know how actual courses are different from each other then this will depend on the individual university. For example, where I am at the University of Melbourne, there is very little difference between the two majors, only the capstone projects, and you could almost do the exact same subjects in either major if you wanted to. Just check online for each college you're interested into see what differences there are in the requirements for each major.

Software Engineering is a lot like project management but in a technical since. In the SE curriculum you will be study more on software management methodologies, System Requirements, life cycle, feasibility testing ,scale etc. In short SE is about the how to design software, maintain it and how to manage the project.

Computer Science how ever is very theoretical, and for the most part about computation. You basically learn how software works and what is to computer limitation on computation. Computer Science topics are more theoretical; which include computer graphics, automata , ai .. etc.

I think the main difference is Computer Science trys to look for the best way to solve a problem and Software Engineers look for economic solutions.

GreatEscapist said:
So, when I'm looking at the college I'm pretty sure I want to go to, they offer CS. At some colleges, I've noticed that they have CS AND software engineering. So, is there a difference?

You could also have a look at the course descriptions on the college website and compare them. If you can find the websites for the individual courses you might even get to see the individual course content. In brief, software engineering is all 'software' - programming and related skills. CS is about computers.

fasterthanjoao said:
CS is about computers.

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes." - Edsger W. Dijkstra, Computer Scientist.

Crap. So if I want to be a software engineer, and it isn't offered, can I still end up in the same thing with CS?

What is the difference between Computer Science and Software Engineering?

Computer Science is a broad field that focuses on the theoretical foundations and principles of computing, including algorithms, data structures, and programming languages. Software Engineering, on the other hand, is a specialized branch of Computer Science that applies engineering principles to the development, design, and maintenance of software systems.

What are the main areas of study in Computer Science and Software Engineering?

In Computer Science, the main areas of study include computer programming, data structures and algorithms, artificial intelligence, and computer architecture. In Software Engineering, the main areas of study include software design and development, software testing, project management, and software maintenance.

What type of skills are required for a career in Computer Science or Software Engineering?

Both fields require strong problem-solving skills, analytical thinking, and attention to detail. However, Computer Science tends to focus more on mathematical and theoretical skills, while Software Engineering emphasizes practical skills such as coding, design patterns, and project management.

Can someone with a degree in Computer Science work as a Software Engineer and vice versa?

Yes, someone with a degree in Computer Science can work as a Software Engineer and vice versa. While the two fields have different focuses, there is a significant overlap in the skills and knowledge required for both roles. However, additional training or experience may be necessary to bridge any knowledge gaps.

Which field has better job prospects and salary potential?

Both Computer Science and Software Engineering are high-demand fields with excellent job prospects and salary potential. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for software developers, which includes both Computer Science and Software Engineering roles, was $107,510 in May 2020.