How is this pronounced? (subitize)

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the lecturer pronounced "subitize" as "soobitize", but subitize may also be pronounced "suhbitize".
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
subitize

I looked it up in an online dictionary and it said it is pronounced like "soobitize". However, we had a guest lecturer in class last week and she pronounced it like "suhbitize".

Does anyone know which is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its probably dependant upon where the speaker is from. For example, people from the US and Brits might say it differently. A better dictionary might even say that it may be used either way. LOL, it doesn't even show up in the Miriam-Webster 11th Edition I have.

I'd go with suhbitize. All such words, subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, etc... all have the same pronunciation.

Thanks for the help. I have a feeling that whichever one I pick, it will be the opposite of what the professor thinks it is. LOL
But I guess I will go with "suhb".

Evo said:
I'd go with suhbitize. All such words, subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, etc... all have the same pronunciation.
On the other hand, in the words: subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, the letter 'b' is followed by a consonant, so by convention sub is pronounce suhb, and is usually a separate syllable (and often a prefix). Often, when the group 'sub' is followed by a vowel, the u is long, soo, and the b is part of the second syllable (su·bi·tize). I think the English and Australians would pronounce syoobitize.

subitize - to perceive at a glance the number of items presented.

Definitely soobitize.

I'm pretty sure my daughter is good at subitizing, as she can add 13 digit numbers in her head and give the right answer immediately. I asked her what's 2 trillion plus 3 trillion and she got it in a flash.

Hmph. And I got in trouble yesterday for pronouncing chootney instead of chuhtney.

Well, without having a clue what the word meant (thanks to Astronuc for providing the definition) nor having ever seen or heard it pronounced before, upon seeing it in the thread title, I pronounced it soo-bi-tize. Astronuc's explanation makes sense of why it's NOT suhb-i-tize (that would just break every spelling, syllabication and pronunciation rule I've ever learned).

Astronuc said:
On the other hand, in the words: subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, the letter 'b' is followed by a consonant, so by convention sub is pronounce suhb, and is usually a separate syllable (and often a prefix). Often, when the group 'sub' is followed by a vowel, the u is long, soo, and the b is part of the second syllable (su·bi·tize). I think the English and Australians would pronounce syoobitize.

Yep, I didn't even think of that.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Often, when the group 'sub' is followed by a vowel, the u is long, soo, and the b is part of the second syllable.
I don't know about that. There's subatomic, subequal, subinvariant, subordinate, suburb.

I think the issue is that the prefix sub-, meaning under or less than, is probably always pronounced the same regardless of the next letter. The thing that makes subitize different is that sub- is not a prefix in that word. It derives from the latin word subitus, meaning sudden.

It's from subito, which is pronounced soob-ito, so I'd assume it's pronounced soob-itize.

It's a niche word you don't see in everyday use and isn't even included in a lot of dictionaries, so maybe the lecturer just guessed.

Interesting subject. It's how you can teach a dog or horse to count. Remember how Roy Roger's horse, Trigger, could count to three? If Roy Rogers had a parrot instead of a horse, he could have 'counted' all the way up to four! Of course, I guess that would have required quite a few other changes in the show, as well.

I've been working with my dog to see how high she can go numerically. So far, we're up to [tex]\int^{\pi}_0 sin(x) dx[/tex]

suberin - soo-ber-in
subitize - soo-bi-tize

Astronuc has it - no following consonant after the letter "b"

BobG said:
It's a niche word you don't see in everyday use and isn't even included in a lot of dictionaries, so maybe the lecturer just guessed.

Ordinarily, I would think that it was just a guess, but this was a cognitive psychology post-doc who pronounced it "suhbitize". It may fall outside of her area of specialization, but I would think that she had heard this word pronounced before.

Soob (more so 'syoobitise"), it feels 'natural' to me.

But then again, I just found out it's Oiler, not Euler :grumpy:

Tsubitize - to perceive at a glance everything not yet done by Ivan.

Soob, it feels 'natural' to me.

But then again, I just found out it's Oiler, not Euler :grumpy:

Now where's that book on Oiclid's Elements...

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: Now Tsubitize is easy. I guess I won't be giving out pronunciations when I'm going to sleep anymore. :redface:

Ivan Seeking said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Let me ask you guys something else: how do you pronounce "Phi" (the Greek letter)? Do you say "Fie" or "Fee"?

Math Is Hard said:
Let me ask you guys something else: how do you pronounce "Phi" (the Greek letter)? Do you say "Fie" or "Fee"?
THIS one I know, it's Fie, it's a long I.

MIH said:
but I would think that she had heard this word pronounced before.

Most probably in the UK. I'd say

That's how I say it, too. So I never would have guessed that the Phi in "http://www.cogsci.uci.edu/~ddhoff/vi6fig1.html" " is pronounced like "Fee"!

Crazy cognitive psychologists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:

It's "fee".

Now that you mention it, fraternities and sororities pronounce it "fie".

According to an article on Greek food, it should be pronounced "fee".

Ruh-[tex]\rho[/tex]. According to the Greek food article [tex]\pi[/tex] is pronounced "pee", [tex]\mu[/tex] is pronounced "mee", and [tex]\nu[/tex] is pronounced "nee".

To be honest, there is no standard pronunciation for Greek letters. The most common pronunciation scheme comes from some guy named Erasmus. However, there's several accents or dialects in Greece and no real agreement on which pronunciation variation is the 'official' version.

Although I hear it's supposed to be fun to ask a Greek to ask for Fish 'n Chips.

Last edited:
What! I thought it was FIE unless preceeded by a vowel, as in Alpha Phi, pronounced Alpha FEE, but it's Phi "fie" Beta Cappa. :grumpy:

Astronuc said:

Isn't the pronunciation more dependent on the etymology of the word? i.e. it stems from the Latin subitus, which means sudden.

P.S. Most people are able to subitize only as high as six; higher than that and you almost invariably have to group objects.

I've often wondered how high some of those savants can subitize. It would appear that Rain Man can subitize as high as - what was it? 149?

DaveC426913 said:
Isn't the pronunciation more dependent on the etymology of the word? i.e. it stems from the Latin subitus, which means sudden.

P.S. Most people are able to subitize only as high as six; higher than that and you almost invariably have to group objects.

I've often wondered how high some of those savants can subitize. It would appear that Rain Man can subitize as high as - what was it? 149?

82. To count 246 toothpicks, he had to look at them in three groups. That was a movie. I don't think that could happen in real life.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
I'm not answering anymore. :frown:

Evo said:
I'm not answering anymore. :frown:

I'm just going to quit talking and learn sign language. :approve:

Phi Phi Pho Phum

Fie fee, potato potahto

Let's call the whole thing off.

TA ---tummmmmm (Minor chord)

BobG said:
82. To count 246 toothpicks, he had to look at them in three groups. That was a movie. I don't think that could happen in real life.
Oh thanks. Huh. Funny thing, the memory. I couldn't remember the exact number, but I would have sworn that:
a] there were three toothpicks in the box
b] the 3 groups were 3 of a prime number (which 82 is not)

I think the feats in the movie are based on real feats.

1. How do you pronounce "subitize"?

The word "subitize" is pronounced as "soo-bi-tize".

2. Is "subitize" a common word?

Yes, "subitize" is a commonly used word in the field of mathematics and psychology.

3. What does "subitize" mean?

"Subitize" means to perceive or recognize the number of objects in a small group without counting.

4. Are there any other words that have a similar pronunciation to "subitize"?

Yes, "subsidize" and "subtlety" have a similar pronunciation to "subitize", but they have different meanings.

5. Is there a specific accent or dialect that pronounces "subitize" differently?

No, "subitize" is pronounced the same way in most English-speaking countries, regardless of accent or dialect.