Is Tolerance the Same for Resistors in Series and Parallel?

In summary: Oh ok I see. Just do 2(19)/40 and 2(21)/40 and you get the same tolerance of 5% I believe. In other words, whether in series or parallel, the tolerance doesn't change. Thanks!
hover
Say I have a 20 ohm resistor with a tolerance of 5%. What does it mean to have a tolerance of 5%??

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
hover said:
Say I have a 20 ohm resistor with a tolerance of 5%. What does it mean to have a tolerance of 5%??

Thanks

The value is guaranteed to be between 0.95 * R and 1.05 * R.

berkeman said:

Another way to say it is +/- 5%

berkeman said:

So would it make perfect sense to say that for this example that the value of this resistor is guaranteed to be between (.95)(20) and (1.05)(20) which is 19 ohms and 21 ohms? Is that the correct idea?

thanks

hover said:
So would it make perfect sense to say that for this example that the value of this resistor is guaranteed to be between (.95)(20) and (1.05)(20) which is 19 ohms and 21 ohms? Is that the correct idea?

thanks

Exactly. 5% of 20 Ohms is 1 Ohm.

Just one more question :biggrin:
Say you put 2 of these resistors in series. The resistance will jump to 40 ohms but what happens to the tolerance? Will it double or stay the same?

hover said:
Just one more question :biggrin:
Say you put 2 of these resistors in series. The resistance will jump to 40 ohms but what happens to the tolerance? Will it double or stay the same?

You can figure that one out for yourself, using the equation for the total resistance.

You know that the smallest you can get is 19+19 Ohms, and the largest is 21+21 Ohms. What tolerance does that indicate.

Now do it for the parallel resistor case... Do you get a similar or different answer...?

berkeman said:
You can figure that one out for yourself, using the equation for the total resistance.

You know that the smallest you can get is 19+19 Ohms, and the largest is 21+21 Ohms. What tolerance does that indicate.

Now do it for the parallel resistor case... Do you get a similar or different answer...?

Oh ok I see. Just do 2(19)/40 and 2(21)/40 and you get the same tolerance of 5% I believe. In other words, whether in series or parallel, the tolerance doesn't change.

Thanks! :biggrin:

1. What is resistance tolerance?

Resistance tolerance refers to the ability of an organism, system, or material to withstand or endure resistance. It is measured by the amount of resistance an organism, system, or material can tolerate before it is negatively impacted or unable to function properly.

2. How is resistance tolerance different from resistance?

Resistance refers to the act of resisting or opposing something, while resistance tolerance refers to the ability to withstand or endure that resistance. In other words, resistance is the force or action, while resistance tolerance is the capacity to withstand that force or action.

3. Why is resistance tolerance important in science?

Resistance tolerance is an important concept in science because it helps us understand the limits of an organism, system, or material. By determining the level of resistance that can be tolerated, we can assess the potential impact of different stressors and make informed decisions about how to manage or mitigate them.

4. How is resistance tolerance measured?

Resistance tolerance is measured in a variety of ways depending on the specific organism, system, or material being studied. For example, in biology, it may be measured by exposing an organism to different stressors and observing its response. In materials science, it may be measured by subjecting a material to varying levels of force or stress and measuring its ability to withstand them.

5. Can resistance tolerance change over time?

Yes, resistance tolerance can change over time. Organisms, systems, and materials can adapt and develop different levels of tolerance to different stressors. Additionally, external factors such as climate change or pollution can also affect resistance tolerance levels over time.