What is the commutation between Xk and Xl?

In summary, the question asks for the equation for the line: ih(bar) Xk ekjl Xl + ih(bar) ekjl Xk XlThe equation is: ih(bar) Xk ekjl Xl + ih(bar) ekjl Xk Xl = 0
Chronos000

Homework Statement

The question asks for [Xi^2, Lj]

I can get to the line:

ih(bar) Xk ekjl Xl + ih(bar) ekjl Xk Xl

this line must be zero but I don't see how it is.

It looks like an expansion of a commutation between Xk and Xl but not quite right

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Chronos000! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Chronos000 said:
ih(bar) Xk ekjl Xl + ih(bar) ekjl Xk Xl

That's just 2ih(bar) Xk ekjl Xl. :redface:

Maybe the second one should be ih(bar) Xk eljk Xl ? :confused:

I done it again

got ih Xo ejmo Xm + ih ejmo Xm Xo

can I switch the order of the last X operators and put a negative in front? which would give me a commutation

why did u say the previous solution was 2ih(bar) Xk ekjl Xl when the order was different in the last expression?

That is equal to 0 because XoXm is symmetric while ejmo is antisymmetric.

I'm sure I've seen something like this before but I really don't have a clue how you can see which is symmetric or not

XoXm is symmetric because you can swap the subscripts without changing anything, i.e. XoXm=XmXo. The tensor ejmo on the other hand is antisymmetric because it changes sign when you exchange a pair of subscripts, i.e. ejmo=-ejom.

Hi Chronos000! :smile:

sorry, I wasn't thinking straight earlier :redface:

vela is right, ejmo is antisymmetric, so if you multiply it by something symmetric (in 2 of the 3 indices in ejmo), you get 0

(when you do all the adding, for example you add ej12X1X2 and ej21X2X1 … the latter is -ej12X2X1 = -ej12X1X2)

thanks for your replies. So my expression is just 0 + 0. I don't do anything like you have done in your final comment tiny-tim?

Are you allowed to change the position of the epsilon yes? as it does really "act" on anything but just tells you what the cross product is.

Chronos000 said:
thanks for your replies. So my expression is just 0 + 0. I don't do anything like you have done in your final comment tiny-tim?

That's right …

I only did that to prove that it works, but you can just say "it's obvious!" :wink:
Are you allowed to change the position of the epsilon yes? as it does really "act" on anything but just tells you what the cross product is.

You can change the position of any whole thing …

what you can't do is change the position of indices (unless they're symmetric indices, in which case you can, or unless they're anti-symmetric indices, in which case you can if you multiply by -1).

thanks I'm pretty happy with this now

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of these particles, which is essential for many modern technologies like computers and telecommunications.

2. What is commutation in quantum mechanics?

Commutation in quantum mechanics refers to the ability of two operators to commute, or to be applied in any order, without changing the outcome of a calculation. This is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and make predictions about the behavior of particles.

3. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of particles through the use of mathematical equations and principles, such as superposition and uncertainty. These concepts help us understand how particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and how they can behave differently when observed.

4. What is the significance of suffix in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, suffix refers to a label or index used to distinguish between different states or particles. It is important because it helps us keep track of the properties of particles and their interactions, which is crucial for making accurate predictions and calculations.

5. How has quantum mechanics impacted our understanding of the universe?

Quantum mechanics has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe, as it has challenged traditional Newtonian physics and led to the development of new theories and technologies. It has also revealed the strange and often counterintuitive nature of the quantum world, leading to philosophical debates and further exploration of the fundamental nature of reality.