Plastic Ball Launcher Lab over Spring constand and muzzle velocity

In summary, the question is how to determine the spring constant and muzzle velocity of a toy ball launcher using physical measurements and energy conservation considerations. The group measured the height of the ball after being launched and knows the mass. They attempted to use equations such as PE=mgh and KE=1/2mv^2, but are unsure of how to find the velocity and what other data they may need. They also have PE=1/2Kx^2, where K is the spring constant and x is the amount the spring is compressed, but are unsure of its purpose and how to use it. Ultimately, the problem lies in determining the efficiency of energy transfer from the spring to the ball due to factors such as heat and the mass
ictsyd
The question to the lab is How can the spring constant and muzzle velocity for a toy ball launcher be determined through physical measurements and energy conservation considerations?
My lab group and I took our pastic ball launchers(pretty much toy guns) and shot them straight up and measured the hieght it went. We did three trails and ended with an average hight of 2.07 m. Then we were a little confused on where to go from there.. We also know the mass: 1.5 g or .015 kg

We could find the PE of gravity from what we had so we started with that. PE=mgh. We got .305 J .. then what?
Other equations that I've seen are
KE= 1/2 mv^2 ... but how do I find the velocity?
I tried to find the velocity by doing h= V^2/2g, getting 6.373 m/s
I also have PE= 1/2Kx^2 written down, but I'm not sure what this gives me.
When I plug The PE into that equation, I get Kx= .781. What exactly is that, and what importance does it have. What do I do withit next?
Also, is there a specific equation to find the spring constand and or muzzle velocity.
Did we forget to find some important data or something?
Or do we have everything and I'm just not using the right equations?
I feel stuck. Help? Thanks!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
ictsyd said:
The question to the lab is How can the spring constant and muzzle velocity for a toy ball launcher be determined through physical measurements and energy conservation considerations?
My lab group and I took our pastic ball launchers(pretty much toy guns) and shot them straight up and measured the hieght it went. We did three trails and ended with an average hight of 2.07 m. Then we were a little confused on where to go from there.. We also know the mass: 1.5 g or .015 kg

We could find the PE of gravity from what we had so we started with that. PE=mgh. We got .305 J .. then what?
Other equations that I've seen are
KE= 1/2 mv^2 ... but how do I find the velocity?
I tried to find the velocity by doing h= V^2/2g, getting 6.373 m/s
I also have PE= 1/2Kx^2 written down, but I'm not sure what this gives me.
When I plug The PE into that equation, I get Kx= .781. What exactly is that, and what importance does it have. What do I do withit next?
Also, is there a specific equation to find the spring constand and or muzzle velocity.
Did we forget to find some important data or something?
Or do we have everything and I'm just not using the right equations?
I feel stuck. Help? Thanks!:smile:

OK, you have lots of great information and forumlae - you need direction - an overview.

When the spring in the toy ball launcher is compressed, we [theoretically] store an amount 1/2.k.x2 of energy in that spring. k is the spring constant, and x is the amount by which the spring is compressed [in metres of course]

When the launcher is "released" some of that energy is converted to kinetic energy of the ball - let's suppose all of it; I will explain later.
The ball now how kinetic energy given by 1/2.m.v2 m = mass, v = vel or speed

If that ball is released vertically in the upward direction, then as the ball rises, all that kinetic energy is converted to Gravitational Potential energy; given by m.g.h where these letters stand for the usual things.

You have most/all measurements to calculate any of those quantities and get what you want.

I hope you see that 1/2.k.x2 is effectively transformed into m.g.h

The real problem is - how efficient is the transformation of the energy from the spring.
Firstly:
If you were to compress the spring many times, with the release mechanism released, the spring will get warm. That means that during the compression/expansion of the spring some energy is converted to heat - probably not enough to worry about in a single "shot"
Secondly - and perhaps more importantly.
The spring itself has mass.
When released, one end remains stationary [against the "gun] while the other end accelerates to the same speed as the ball. If the mass of the spring is similar to the mass of the balls [or even worse; more] then the energy stored in the spring will be "shared" between the projected ball and the spring. Just how much of the stored energy is actually transferred to the ball? [I don't have an answer to that final question - it depends on the relative mass of the ball and spring]

1. What is the purpose of the Plastic Ball Launcher Lab?

The purpose of the Plastic Ball Launcher Lab is to investigate the relationship between the spring constant and muzzle velocity of a plastic ball launcher. This lab allows students to apply principles of physics, such as Hooke's Law and projectile motion, to understand the behavior of a spring-loaded projectile launcher.

2. How is the spring constant determined in this lab?

The spring constant is determined by measuring the displacement of the spring and the force applied to it. The spring constant (k) can be calculated using the equation k = F/x, where F is the force applied to the spring and x is the displacement of the spring from its original position.

3. What factors affect the muzzle velocity of the plastic ball?

The muzzle velocity of the plastic ball is affected by the spring constant, the mass of the ball, and the angle at which the ball is launched. A higher spring constant and a lighter ball will result in a higher muzzle velocity. Additionally, launching the ball at a higher angle will also increase the muzzle velocity.

4. How can we ensure accuracy in the measurements and calculations for this lab?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average values. It is also important to use precise measuring tools and follow proper lab procedures. Additionally, accounting for any external factors, such as air resistance, can also improve the accuracy of the measurements and calculations.

5. What are some potential real-world applications of this lab?

The principles learned in this lab, such as projectile motion and Hooke's Law, can be applied to real-world scenarios, such as designing and testing catapults, slingshots, and other projectile-based devices. This lab also provides a basic understanding of the physics behind sports such as archery and basketball, as well as the mechanics of firearms and other projectile launchers.