Finding Parametric Equations for Line: Perpendicular vs Parallel

In summary: This is because a plane is two dimensional, while a line is one dimensional.In summary, finding parametric equations for a line through a point that is perpendicular to a plane and parallel involves determining the direction of the line using the normal vector for the perpendicular case and an arbitrary vector in the plane for the parallel case. Additionally, there is only one line perpendicular to a given plane through a given point, while there are an infinite number of lines parallel to a given plane through a given point.
coleko
Finding parametric equations for the line through the point that is perpendicular to plane and parallel?

What is the difference when finding parametric equations for a line through a point that is perpendicular vs. parallel? Surely there must be some difference but I cannot seem to figure it out.

Here is an example

Find parametric equations for the line through the point (2,4,6) perpendicular to plane x-y+3x=7
Also find parametric equations for the same line parallel to the same plane...

Do you find them both by using r(t)=r+ t*v
?

Physics news on Phys.org

coleko said:
Finding parametric equations for the line through the point that is perpendicular to plane and parallel?

What is the difference when finding parametric equations for a line through a point that is perpendicular vs. parallel? Surely there must be some difference but I cannot seem to figure it out.
They go in different directions.

Note, there is only one line through a point that is perpendicular to a surface, and an infinite number of possibilities parallel.

Here is an example

Find parametric equations for the line through the point (2,4,6) perpendicular to plane x-y+3x=7
Also find parametric equations for the same line parallel to the same plane...

Do you find them both by using r(t)=r+ t*v
?
Some issues with how you phrased that... what you have provided is not the equation of a plane (oh I suppose it could be - it would be 4x-y=7 for any z - so the plane does not intersect the z-axis) ... and "the same line" cannot be parallel. But yes you use the equation of a line both times - but that is not all you do. If r is the point then v must be a vector pointing in some direction: how do you determine that direction?

Last edited:

To find the direction of the vector you would take the coefficients of the plane which would be <1,-1,3> I apologize because the 3x I wrote should really be 3z and the equation should read x-y+3z=7

I also realize that the same line cannot be parallel and perpendicular at the same time I am just questioning my methods on how to figure those out...

Well, a line through point P at position ##\vec{p}## perpendicular to a plane ##ax+by+cz+d=0## has equation: ##\vec{r}(t)=\vec{p}+\vec{n}t## where ##\vec{n}=(a,b,c)## is the normal to the plane.

A line parallel to the same plane would be and of ##\vec{r}(t)=\vec{p}+(a\vec{v}+b\vec{n}\times\vec{v})t## where ##\vec{v}## is any vector in the plane and ##a## and ##b## are arbitrary scalars.

See the difference?

Note that, in three dimensions, there exist a single line through a given point, perpendicular to a given plane but there exist and infinite number of lines through a given point parallel to the given plane.

1. What are parametric equations for a line?

Parametric equations for a line describe the coordinates of points on a line in terms of one or more parameters. These equations are commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent the motion of an object.

2. How do I find parametric equations for a line?

To find parametric equations for a line, you need to have two points on the line. Then, you can use the formula x = x1 + at and y = y1 + bt, where (x1,y1) are the coordinates of one point and (a,b) are the direction ratios of the line. The parameter t represents the distance from the initial point (x1,y1).

3. What is the difference between parametric equations for a line that is perpendicular vs parallel?

Parametric equations for a line that is perpendicular to another line will have direction ratios that are negative reciprocals of the direction ratios of the original line. This means that the two lines will intersect at a right angle. On the other hand, parametric equations for a line that is parallel to another line will have the same direction ratios as the original line, meaning they will never intersect.

4. Can I use parametric equations for a line to find the shortest distance between two lines?

Yes, you can use parametric equations for a line to find the shortest distance between two lines. This can be done by finding the point on one line that is closest to the other line, and then using the distance formula to calculate the distance between the two points.

5. How can I use parametric equations for a line in real-world applications?

Parametric equations for a line have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, design structures, and create visual effects in films and video games.