Neutral Axis Calculation for Concrete Columns Under Biaxial Bending

In summary, the neutral axis of a concrete column under biaxial bending can be determined numerically using trial and error. This can be done with the help of a program or spreadsheet, such as Mathematica or Excel, by assuming an initial position for the N.A and then checking the computation against it. This process is easier for finding capacities, as mentioned in Collins & Mitchell's "Prestressed Concrete Structures".
mohamadh95
How can the neutral axis of a concrete column under biaxial bending be determined. I mean if the load P is given along with the eccentricities ex and ey, how could the N.A. location and orientation be computed?
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since concrete and steel are both non-linear materials the only accurate way to do it is numerically using trial and error.

Well I'm willing to make a program using Mathematica or a spreadsheet in excel in order to create the interaction curve of a column,so trial and error is no problem. Can you explain how shall I do it? Should I assume an initial N.A and then do the computations, and after that check if the computation check with the N.A assumed position?

That's pretty much it. Generally you have the vertical value of c and the rotation angle θ to locate it.

Now if you are doing an interaction curve that is a little different because now you are finding capacities which I think will turn out to be a little easier to do. A good reference is Collins & Mitchell's "Prestressed Concrete Structures".

Thank you for your help.

1. What is the neutral axis in biaxial bending?

The neutral axis is an imaginary line or plane through a structural member that experiences no strain in response to bending, meaning it neither compresses nor stretches.

2. How is the neutral axis determined in biaxial bending?

The neutral axis can be determined by finding the centroid or center of mass of the cross-sectional area of the structural member.

3. What is the significance of the neutral axis in biaxial bending?

The neutral axis plays a critical role in determining the stress and strain distribution within a structural member subjected to biaxial bending. It helps engineers determine the maximum bending moment and the location of the neutral axis can also impact the overall stability and strength of the structure.

4. Can the neutral axis shift in biaxial bending?

Yes, the neutral axis can shift depending on the loading conditions and the properties of the structural member. For example, if there is an increase in tension on one side of the member, the neutral axis may shift towards that side.

5. How does the location of the neutral axis affect the design of a structure in biaxial bending?

The location of the neutral axis can affect the amount of bending stress and strain that a structural member experiences. This information is crucial in designing a structure that can withstand the expected loads and maintain its stability and integrity.