Does current or voltage kill?

by Dublin
Tags: current, kill, voltage
Share this thread:
ugenetic
Jun10-14, 07:20 AM
P: 29
In my opinion:
Current thru the heart kills. Or, so much power went thru the body that the person was charred, very gruesome in that case.

High voltage may kill, BUT: will that high voltage maintain its high value? static charge certainly can not.
will that high voltage cause a current to flow thru heart and screw up human heart's internal pace maker? Lightning does not always kill because huge amount of current went thru the body but not enough to disturb the heart.

we had a guy somehow walked between a 13.8kv breaker while the unit was on. high current went thru him, but we had a big belly, he lived.
phinds
Jun10-14, 07:36 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,333
Quote Quote by ugenetic View Post
In my opinion:
On this forum, it's generally better to stick to the facts rather than your opinion.

Lightning does not always kill because huge amount of current went thru the body but not enough to disturb the heart.
I agree that lightening does not always kill. That is well documented. But how can a huge amount of current go through the body without being enough to disturb the heart?

we had a guy somehow walked between a 13.8kv breaker while the unit was on. high current went thru him, but we had a big belly, he lived.
I assume you mean "big belly laugh". Would it have been funny if he had died?
Nick O
Jun10-14, 07:51 AM
P: 152
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
Ah. I thought you meant the internal resistance of the PERSON and were talking about an ideal source in which case your statement made no sense. Given your description, yes, you are correct.
Okay. It was my mistake; I should use clearer language.
jim hardy
Jun10-14, 09:19 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,665
A quick search on 'electrocution' brings up some scientific information.
Current kills, and it takes volts to push it through skin to where it can kill.
Contacting 13.8 kv should have burnt that guy to a gruesome crisp that'd make the photographer throw up.
Sometimes if one's clothes are soaked with sweat the current will take that route avoiding his internals.
In Miami one hot summer day a fellow had just got his boat out of the water and was struck by lightning while tying it down to the trailer. He was shaken but not hurt. His good fortune was attributed to his being covered with sweat and salt water.

old jim
ugenetic
Jun10-14, 05:34 PM
P: 29
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
I assume you mean "big belly laugh". Would it have been funny if he had died?
I typed it wrong, I meant, He had a big belly. He was walking between an energized breaker and a metal wall, sideways. he was burnt, not severely tho.
The unit was online, but it was excited a little bit.

huge current can go thru your body parts but not thru the heart. wet skin, or skin effect from ac source are other factors, so you won't always die from it. And I insist that it is my opinion, because I don't fully understand the subject.
jim hardy
Jun10-14, 07:18 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,665
He was walking between an energized breaker and a metal wall, sideways. he was burnt, not severely tho.
Likely it was a "high resistance grounded system" which limits ground faults to only a few amps ?
Compare this phase to ground fault on a high resistance grounded system where current is limited to about 5 amps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyW_fHKJwJ0

to this phase to phase fault which passes kiloamps ( i hope it was a mannequin, like it says )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-w0QAaxRU

I'm glad your friend didn't get into that kind of current capacity.

old jim

Register to reply