Can dimpling the skin of a jet airliner increase fuel efficiency?

• Thread starter Psi 5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of dimpling the skin of a jet airliner to reduce air friction and increase fuel efficiency. While some have seen success with dimpling in other sports equipment, there are concerns about its effect on the lift factor of the wings and control surfaces of an aircraft. Additionally, while the fuselage may not typically be a lifting surface, there are exceptions such as the space shuttle. Overall, there may be potential for this idea but more research and consideration is needed.
Psi 5
I've had this idea for a while. I can't see anything wrong with it. Maybe someone here can tell me if it's unsound.

The idea is based on the dimpling of a golf ball. To my knowledge the dimpling of a golf ball reduces air friction and let's it go farther. I even heard of someone dimpling a bat so they could swing faster. Some golf club heads have dimples too.

My idea is to dimple the skin of a jet airliner. Since they pretty much cruise at a constant airspeed the dimpling could be optimized for that speed to reduce air friction and increase fuel efficiency. Is there some physics reason why this wouldn't work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aircraft are pretty well thought-out from an aerodynamic aspect already. The main concern that I would have regarding dimpling is that it would mess up the lift factor of the wings and control surfaces.

Possible but dimples don't keep a golf ball from lifting. Also the fuselage isn't a lifting surface.

Psi 5 said:
Also the fuselage isn't a lifting surface.
It depends. The space shuttle is a lifting body.

EDIT: Deleted. The link Zapper posted says it better than I can.

Last edited:

What's wrong with this idea?

The most common questions asked when evaluating the potential flaws of an idea are:

1. Is it feasible?

This question addresses the practicality of the idea. Is it physically possible to execute? Are there any technological limitations that could hinder its success?

2. Does it solve a problem?

An idea should aim to address a specific issue or need. If it doesn't solve a problem or improve a current situation, it may not be worth pursuing.

3. What are the potential risks and drawbacks?

Every idea has its own set of risks and potential drawbacks. It's essential to identify and evaluate these factors to determine if the benefits outweigh the potential consequences.

4. Is it financially sustainable?

Finances are a crucial factor in the success of an idea. Will it require a significant investment? Can it generate enough revenue to sustain itself? These are essential questions to consider.

5. How does it compare to existing solutions?

It's essential to research and understand the current market and existing solutions related to your idea. Is your idea unique? Does it offer something new or better than what's already available?