Kuiper Belt Binary Pairs: Existence Confirmed?

In summary: But if the US (and other countries) were to shift a few percent of their total military budgets (and other relatively unproductive expenditures) over to fundamental research (not just astronomy), what would happen? I'd bet a good bottle of single malt that the world would be a better place. But how to make it happen?In summary, the conversation revolved around the availability of observation time for the Hubble Space Telescope, specifically for studying binary pairs in the Kuiper Belt. The speakers discussed the difficulty in obtaining observation time and the potential reasons for this, such as funding and competing projects. They also mentioned the decreasing total time for the HST, as it is scheduled for decommissioning soon. The conversation ended with
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
i remember a referance to, binary pairs in the kuiper belt,
i can not remember if a mass for the objects was given
or orbital distance, my memory may be fading or wrong,
can someone comfirm or dispute the existence of these
objects?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
thanks NEREID.

1998WW31 is an interesting duo, its a shame observation
time is so limited, do you or anyone have an insight
as to how much it costs for say an hours observation
time?

Expensive!

Originally posted by wolram
thanks NEREID.

1998WW31 is an interesting duo, its a shame observation
time is so limited, do you or anyone have an insight
as to how much it costs for say an hours observation
time?
It's an interesting question. Not very useful, as observing time isn't up for auction, except in the currency of proposal-quality.

A crude OOM: (cost of constructing and launching the HST + cost of Hubble repair and servicing Shuttle missions) / (total expected years of operation * duty cycle). That'd be a kinda capex answer; the opex answer would be simply the operating budget of the STScI (OOM, and a lower limit to be sure).

from what little i have gleened, it seems observation
time is getting harder and harder to get, is this due
to funding or compeeting projects or other reason?

Pure guess

from what little i have gleened, it seems observation time is getting harder and harder to get, is this due to funding or compeeting projects or other reason?
I'm not sure that it is getting any harder. However, if it is, we can round up the usual suspects: demand continues to grow faster than supply (e.g. more astronomy - and physics? - PhDs than new observing time; average observing time requested per proposal is rising; available obseratory time actually declining (not likely)); inefficiency (unlikely); ...

from what little i have gleened, it seems observation
time is getting harder and harder to get, is this due
to funding or compeeting projects or other reason?

If you are talking about observation time on the HST, I think the answer may be because the HST's total time is decreasing; it is scheduled for decommissioning soon.

your replies seem totaly negative if there has been a time
for observation then this is it, theory is theory but
observation is truth ,if money or any other obstacle gets
in the way of observation then it can only be a hinderance
to our understanding, i just can not understand why the
most powerful nation on Earth can spend billions of $ on
stealth aircraft and neglect our real futuer.

Make your views known!

Originally posted by LURCH
If you are talking about observation time on the HST, I think the answer may be because the HST's total time is decreasing; it is scheduled for decommissioning soon.
I think it's a bit more complicated than that (see the link below). The good news is that there appears to be a genuine desire to a) determine the perceived value of keeping the HST going, b) finding creative ways to satisfy the many desires within the rather tight constraints (need for Shuttle to service Hubble if it's life is to be extended, as just one example), and c) keep everyone informed of the thinking and decision making. Very admirable.

http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1117_1.asp

But what to do about it?

your replies seem totaly negative if there has been a time for observation then this is it, theory is theory but observation is truth ,if money or any other obstacle gets in the way of observation then it can only be a hinderance to our understanding, i just can not understand why the most powerful nation on Earth can spend billions of $ on stealth aircraft and neglect our real futuer.
There'll be long queues of PF members lining up to endorse that sentiment!

One of my favourite counter-examples (like your stealth aircraft example) is $x millions going into a 'just say no' campaign, and an apparently sincere belief that this is actually a cost-effective way to deal with AIDS. What's profoundly depressing is that many of those who support this campaign are well-informed, intelligent, even have the data (and statistical tools, and competence to use them and understand the results) to assess the relative impacts of various possible anti-AIDS campaigns, yet they *still* support 'just say no'!

1. What is the Kuiper Belt?

The Kuiper Belt is a region of our solar system beyond the orbit of Neptune that is home to many small icy bodies, including dwarf planets, comets, and other smaller objects.

2. What are binary pairs in the Kuiper Belt?

Binary pairs in the Kuiper Belt refer to two objects that are gravitationally bound together and orbit around a common center of mass. These pairs are typically composed of two similarly sized objects, such as two dwarf planets or two large asteroids.

3. How were the existence of Kuiper Belt binary pairs confirmed?

The existence of Kuiper Belt binary pairs was confirmed through observations using powerful telescopes, such as the Hubble Space Telescope. Scientists looked for small changes in the position of objects in the Kuiper Belt, which would indicate the presence of a binary pair.

4. Why is the confirmation of Kuiper Belt binary pairs important?

The confirmation of Kuiper Belt binary pairs is important because it provides insight into the formation and evolution of our solar system. These pairs can also help us better understand the distribution and composition of objects in the Kuiper Belt.

5. What implications does the confirmation of Kuiper Belt binary pairs have for future research?

The confirmation of Kuiper Belt binary pairs opens up opportunities for further research and exploration of these objects. Scientists can study the dynamics and interactions between binary pairs, as well as the possible presence of moons or other smaller objects orbiting them. This can also provide valuable information for future missions to the Kuiper Belt.