Measuring TiAlSiN Coating Multilayer Thickness

• Thread starter vinhphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thickness
In summary, the conversation discusses the research on TiAlSiN coatings, which are multilayers consisting of crystalline TiN and amorphous (Al,Si)N. The question is how to measure the thickness of each layer and what is the best method to do so. Some suggestions are X-ray fluorescence and X-ray absorption, but both require analysis and may not be the simplest methods. Another suggestion is using ball indentation, but it may not have the desired resolution. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a non-destructive method like TEM cross section. Ultimately, the topic is still being researched and further experiments will be conducted in the near future.
vinhphysics
Hi!
I am doing research on TiAlSiN coatings. The coatings are multilayers of crystalline TiN and amorphous (Al,Si)N. The thickness of each layer is estimated about some nano-meters. The question is How can I measure the thickness of each layer? and What measurement of method is the best?
Thanks you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
X-ray fluorescence can be used to measure the layer thicknesses(is this even a word?). The analysis of the spectra to extract the thicknesses from a multilayer system isn't a trivial procedure though. X-ray absorption should do the trick too. I'm sure there are easier ways but those two were the first that I though of.

Simplest methods are probably the likes of ball indentation, but don't know whether you can get the resolution you want with plain mechanical based ones.

vinhphysics said:
Hi!
I am doing research on TiAlSiN coatings. The coatings are multilayers of crystalline TiN and amorphous (Al,Si)N. The thickness of each layer is estimated about some nano-meters. The question is How can I measure the thickness of each layer? and What measurement of method is the best?
Thanks you!
I presume the interest is for a non-destructive method, otherwise it would be simple to do a ceramograph/metalograph and measure optically with something like an electron microscope.

Are there multiple (alternating) layers? e.g. T/A/T/A/. . . . where T = TiN and A = (Al,Si).

Thanks you!

I think TEM cross section can be used to estimate the thickness of layer. I will try to do it in near future.
Thanks you for your interest.

1. What is TiAlSiN coating and why is it used?

TiAlSiN coating is a multilayer coating composed of titanium (Ti), aluminum (Al), silicon (Si), and nitrogen (N) atoms. It is commonly used in industrial applications to improve the surface properties of tools and components, such as hardness, wear resistance, and heat resistance.

2. How is the thickness of TiAlSiN coating measured?

The thickness of TiAlSiN coating can be measured using various techniques, such as scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS), and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS). These methods involve bombarding the coating with electrons or X-rays and analyzing the resulting signals to determine the thickness.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of TiAlSiN coating thickness measurements?

The accuracy of TiAlSiN coating thickness measurements can be affected by several factors, including the type of measurement technique used, the surface roughness and topography of the coating, and the presence of any contaminants on the surface. Additionally, the operator's skill and experience can also influence the accuracy of the measurements.

4. Is there a standard or recommended thickness for TiAlSiN coating?

Yes, there are industry standards and recommended thicknesses for TiAlSiN coating, depending on the specific application and the type of tool or component being coated. These standards are based on the desired properties and performance of the coating, and they can vary depending on the manufacturer and the coating process used.

5. Can the thickness of TiAlSiN coating be adjusted or customized?

Yes, the thickness of TiAlSiN coating can be adjusted or customized to some extent by changing the coating process parameters, such as the composition of the coating materials, the deposition rate, and the temperature. However, there are limitations to how much the thickness can be altered without affecting the properties and performance of the coating.