Inverse Z-Transform of \frac {Z^2-Zr Cos W0} {Z^2-r^2 Sin^2 W0}

In summary: The partial fractions should be expanded as:\frac{z^2-a}{z^2-b^2} = \frac{Az+B}{z-b} + \frac{Cz+D}{z+b}. The constants A, B, C, and D can be found by equating coefficients and solving the resulting system of equations. Then, the inverse z-transform can be calculated by using the formula:x(n)= \frac{1}{2\pi j} \int_{c-j\infty}^{c+j\infty} X(z)z^n dzwhere X(z) is the given function in terms of z, and c is a complex number that lies to the right of all singularities of
electronic engineer
I need to find the inverse z-transform for this function:

[tex] \frac {Z^2-Zr Cos W0} {Z^2-r^2 Sin^2 W0} [/tex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since [tex]\omega_0[/tex] is a constant, what you really want is the inverse transform of [tex]\frac{z^2-a}{z^2-b^2} = \frac{Az}{z-b} + \frac{Bz}{z+b}[/tex].
Find A and B by expanding the fuction in partial fractions. The inverse transform is easy to calculate.

thanks but I see that you didn't pay attention to the first order term (zr cos w0), I wonder whether the partial funtions expanded should be changed or it might be the same?!

electronic engineer said:
thanks but I see that you didn't pay attention to the first order term (zr cos w0), I wonder whether the partial funtions expanded should be changed or it might be the same?!
You are right. It should be:
[tex]\frac{z^2-a}{z^2-b^2} = \frac{Az+B}{z-b} + \frac{Cz+D}{z+b}[/tex].

I tried to find constants:A,B,C,D but useless, i can't so i invented fiction ways ...but there's one thing which we didn't pay attention on at all, we need to divide P(z) by Q(z) manually till order of P(z) becomes less than Q(z) then find IZT of the function.

[tex] \frac {z^2-az} {z^2-b^2}=1 + \frac {-az+b^2}{z^2-b^2} [/tex]

so now we can expand the resulted function in partial fractionds and find the constansts

[tex]=\frac {-az+b^2}{z^2-b^2}=\frac{A}{z-b}+\frac {B}{z+b} [/tex]

A=(b-a)/2 & B=(-b-a)/2

so IZT function is:
[tex] x(n)= \delta(n)+A b^{n-1} u(n-1)+B (-b)^{n-1} u(n-1) [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the inverse Z-transform of the given expression?

The inverse Z-transform of \frac{Z^2-Zr\cos\omega_0}{Z^2-r^2\sin^2\omega_0} is e^{r\sin\omega_0n}\cos(\omega_0n), where n is the sample index.

2. How is the inverse Z-transform calculated?

The inverse Z-transform can be calculated using the inverse power series method, partial fraction decomposition, or residue theorem.

3. What is the significance of the inverse Z-transform in signal processing?

The inverse Z-transform is used to convert a discrete-time signal from the Z-domain to the time domain. It is essential in analyzing and designing digital filters and control systems.

4. Can the inverse Z-transform be calculated for any Z-transform?

Yes, the inverse Z-transform can be calculated for any rational Z-transform that has a finite region of convergence.

5. Is the inverse Z-transform unique?

No, the inverse Z-transform is not unique. Different methods of calculation can result in different expressions that are still equivalent in the Z-domain.