Musical question regarding concert pitch/philosophical pitch

• Thread starter physics_06er
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pitch
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "cents" in piano tuning and the difference in cents between notes at a certain pitch standard and those in modern concert pitch. The conversation also mentions the Ottoman or Turkish scale, which contains quarter and 1/8 tones and is used in monophonic Ottoman Music.
physics_06er
Hi there

Can someone please help me with this question I have no idea how to work it out...

A tuning called 'philosophical pitch' has C4 (Middle C) at 256Hz. What is the difference in cents between notes at this pitch standard and those in modern concert pitch (A4 at 440Hz)?

Thanks in advance
physics_06er

Physics news on Phys.org
Difference in "cents"? I have never heard of this. Is that percentage difference in frequency?

Chi Meson said:
Difference in "cents"? I have never heard of this. Is that percentage difference in frequency?
A cent is a piano tuning term. It is 1/100th of a semitone or the 1/1200th root of an octave. Since 12 semitones make an octave which is double the base frequency, between A440 Hz and A# = 440*2^(1/12) = 466 Hz there is a difference of 26 Hz = 100 cents. So one cent above A440 would be:

[tex]F_0*2^{1/1200} = 440*1.000058 = 440.26 Hz [/tex]

AM

Last edited:
physics_06er said:
Hi there

Can someone please help me with this question I have no idea how to work it out...

A tuning called 'philosophical pitch' has C4 (Middle C) at 256Hz. What is the difference in cents between notes at this pitch standard and those in modern concert pitch (A4 at 440Hz)?

Thanks in advance
physics_06er
Use:

[tex]C4*2^{n/1200} = A4[/tex]

where n is the number of cents.

AM

However, Ottoman or Turkish scale is different. it contains quarter and 1/8
tones but Ottoman Music is monophonic.

1. What is the difference between concert pitch and philosophical pitch?

Concert pitch refers to the standard tuning used in Western music, where the A above middle C is tuned to 440 Hz. This pitch is used for orchestral and ensemble performances. Philosophical pitch, on the other hand, refers to the idea that different pitches can have different emotional and spiritual meanings, and can vary in different cultures and time periods.

2. Why is A above middle C tuned to 440 Hz in concert pitch?

The decision to standardize A to 440 Hz as concert pitch was made in the early 20th century, in order to have a consistent reference point for tuning instruments and performing music. Before this, there were many different pitch standards used in different countries and by different orchestras.

3. Can concert pitch and philosophical pitch be used interchangeably?

No, concert pitch and philosophical pitch are two different concepts and cannot be used interchangeably. Concert pitch is a standardized tuning system used for practical purposes in Western music, while philosophical pitch is a more abstract concept related to the emotional and spiritual meanings of different pitches.

4. Is concert pitch the same across all instruments?

Yes, concert pitch is the same across all instruments in Western music. This means that when a concert A is played, it should sound the same on all instruments, regardless of their size or type. However, some instruments, such as brass or string instruments, may need to adjust their pitch slightly to compensate for temperature and other factors.

5. How does philosophical pitch influence musical performances and compositions?

Philosophical pitch can influence musical performances and compositions in various ways. Some composers may choose to use non-standard pitches to create a specific emotional or spiritual effect. Additionally, different cultures and time periods may have their own pitch standards, which can greatly impact the interpretation and performance of music from those regions or eras.