How do I send a file to a microcontroller for programming using a computer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of programming and debugging a DIP microcontroller, specifically using the JTAG interface. The speaker is considering purchasing a microcontroller but is unsure about how to send the necessary files to the device. They mention using a development board with a USB cable, but also inquire about using a JTAG port and building a USB interface. Another speaker recommends using a development kit for debugging purposes and suggests researching the implementation of COP by Freescale. They also mention the option of directly coupling a JTAG port to a computer's COM port for programming.
seang
I'm thinking about buying a few DIP microcontrollers just for fooling around's sake. I think I'll be able to figure most things out except this: how do I send the necessary file (for example, .s19 for freescale mcs) to the microcontroller.

In school we have development boards which sort of magically have USB cables which do that part for us. Is there a pin for this on the chip? Will I have to build a USB interface or something?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Usually JTAG interface is used to program the uC, without those fancy dev.kit. No, if you only want to program the uC, JTAG-mode will suffice, but as soon as you start debugging (e.g single step execution) then, you'll need a real dev.kit.

alright, I read up on it a bit. I get what it is but I still have no idea how to implement it. Say I have the uC and a computer, what do I do?

I'll be using a freescale uC, and wikipedia tells me that their implementation is called COP. I'll be reading about that next if I can find anything

thanks

seang said:
alright, I read up on it a bit. I get what it is but I still have no idea how to implement it. Say I have the uC and a computer, what do I do?

I'll be using a freescale uC, and wikipedia tells me that their implementation is called COP. I'll be reading about that next if I can find anything

thanks

I'm no expert on JTAG programming, since I'm using a dev.kit from microchip, but you should check electrical characteristics of a JTAG port and check if you can directly couple it to a COM port on your computer and use some DIY software to directly program the device. Take a http://www.freescale.com/webapp/search/MainSERP.jsp?" for "jtag programming", it came up with 10+ results.

For first time users I still would recommend a dev.kit, since it is perfect for debugging. I invested some money into microchip dspic33 dev kit with debugging option and I can't complain, since i learned a lot from running single step execution on a programs that a write, hence learning a lot about how the uC works.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a microcontroller?

A microcontroller is a small computer chip that contains a processor, memory, and input/output peripherals, designed to carry out specific tasks. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as appliances, robots, and automobiles.

What are the main components of a microcontroller?

The main components of a microcontroller include a central processing unit (CPU), random access memory (RAM), read-only memory (ROM), input/output ports, and timers/counters. Some microcontrollers may also have additional components such as analog-to-digital converters, pulse-width modulation, and serial communication interfaces.

What is the difference between a microcontroller and a microprocessor?

A microcontroller is a complete computing system on a chip, whereas a microprocessor is only the central processing unit (CPU) of a computer. A microcontroller is designed for a specific task and has built-in memory and input/output peripherals, while a microprocessor requires external components to function.

What are the applications of microcontrollers?

Microcontrollers have a wide range of applications, including consumer electronics, automotive systems, industrial automation, medical devices, and more. They are used to control and monitor various processes and systems, making them an essential component in modern technology.

What factors should be considered when choosing a microcontroller?

When choosing a microcontroller, factors such as cost, power consumption, processing speed, memory size, input/output capabilities, and development tools should be considered. The specific requirements of the application and the availability of support and resources should also be taken into account.