Friction between two rotating cylinders

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding finding the coefficient of friction between two materials rubbing together in a machine designed to simulate wear on drill pipes. The solution involves using the formulas T1*r1/F and T2*r2/F, where T1 and T2 are the torques on the cylinders, r1 and r2 are the radii of the cylinders, and F is the applied force.
Scooter057
I have two hollow cylinders of different sizes. The smaller cylinder is inside the larger cylinder but NOT concentrically. The OD of the smaller cylinder contacts the ID of the larger cylinder at the 6 o'clock position. Both cylinders rotate but in opposite directions. An actuator pushes the larger cylinder upwards applying a normal force to the smaller cylinder. I know the torque being applied to each cylinder, the constant rotational speeds of each cylinder and the force being applied to the actuator. I also know the weights of everything. How would i find the coefficient of friction of the two materials that are rubbing together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm under-thinking this but couldn't you work it like a linear problem and just change each term to be rotational? Force --> torque. speed (v) --> rotation speed (w).

(friction force) = (friction coefficient) * (normal force)

Speed is constant, so:
(friction force) = (applied torque)

Substitute that into the original equation:
(applied torque) = (friction coefficient) * (normal force)
(friction coefficient) = (applied torque) / (normal force)

You already know the torque on the small cylinder, and the normal force is just the net force acting upward on the small cylinder.

Please tell me how it goes :smile:

Last edited:
Scooter057 said:
I have two hollow cylinders of different sizes. The smaller cylinder is inside the larger cylinder but NOT concentrically. The OD of the smaller cylinder contacts the ID of the larger cylinder at the 6 o'clock position. Both cylinders rotate but in opposite directions. An actuator pushes the larger cylinder upwards applying a normal force to the smaller cylinder. I know the torque being applied to each cylinder, the constant rotational speeds of each cylinder and the force being applied to the actuator. I also know the weights of everything. How would i find the coefficient of friction of the two materials that are rubbing together?
Is this a real life problem that you are trying to solve, or is it from a textbook/course?

I work for a company that produced drill pipe. One of the engineers designed a machine that simulates the drill pipe wearing against the side of the hole. This particular machine uses two cylinders in contact rotating in opposite directions to measure the amount of wear to the surface of the drill pipe. I'm pretty new to the company and have been tasked with determining a formula for the coefficient of friction regardless of the two materials being worn. I have an idea about how to proceed I just want to get other opinions.

ShawnD said:
Maybe I'm under-thinking this but couldn't you work it like a linear problem and just change each term to be rotational? Force --> torque. speed (v) --> rotation speed (w).

(friction force) = (friction coefficient) * (normal force)

Speed is constant, so:
(friction force) = (applied torque)

Substitute that into the original equation:
(applied torque) = (friction coefficient) * (normal force)
(friction coefficient) = (applied torque) / (normal force)

You already know the torque on the small cylinder, and the normal force is just the net force acting upward on the small cylinder.

Please tell me how it goes :smile:

The coefficient of friction is a unitless number. Dividing a torque by a force gives you a distance. (Nm/N = m)

Scooter057 said:
The coefficient of friction is a unitless number. Dividing a torque by a force gives you a distance. (Nm/N = m)

If that's the case, we need to know either the inside diameter of the big pipe or the outside diameter of the small pipe.

If the radius of the big cylinder is r1 and the small cylinder r2, then I would think that the coefficient could be expressed as T1*r1/F where T1 is the torque on the big cylinder and F is the applied force. It would also be expressed as T2*r2/F. Does that sound right?

Yes. You are right. Your formulas are the good ones (I found the same).

1. What is friction between two rotating cylinders?

Friction between two rotating cylinders is the resistance force that occurs when two cylindrical objects are in contact and one or both are rotating. This frictional force is caused by the interaction of the two surfaces and can slow down or prevent the rotation of the cylinders.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction between two rotating cylinders?

The amount of friction between two rotating cylinders is affected by several factors, including the material and surface properties of the cylinders, the speed of rotation, the surface roughness, and the lubrication between the cylinders.

3. How is friction between two rotating cylinders calculated?

The friction between two rotating cylinders can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, and N is the normal force between the two cylinders.

4. How can friction between two rotating cylinders be reduced?

Friction between two rotating cylinders can be reduced by using lubricants between the surfaces, choosing materials with low coefficients of friction, and minimizing the roughness of the surfaces. Additionally, reducing the speed of rotation can also reduce the amount of friction.

5. What are the practical applications of studying friction between two rotating cylinders?

Studying friction between two rotating cylinders has practical applications in various industries, such as manufacturing, transportation, and energy production. It can help engineers and scientists understand the effects of friction on rotating machinery and develop ways to minimize it, leading to more efficient and durable systems.