Need help in designing cylindrical robot arm

In summary, the robot arm is designed to lift a maximum of 2kg. It is composed of a Z-displacement mechanism that pivots or climbs up a support column, and a 1m height and 1m tall robot. It is very serviceable and has a smooth and quiet movement.
kennykck
I'm currently designing the mechanism for a basic cylindrical robot arm. It must be capable of lifting max 2kg of item. The robot arm looks like ST Robotic R19 model. It moves in X and Z direction plus rotation at base and arm. The robot should looks like the attachment below. Can u please suggest some of the mechanism that is suitable for my project. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• rrr.JPG
    rrr.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 548
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Kenny.
There are a lot of different mechanisms available, from pneumatics through to complex gear trains to chain drives and screwjacks. I'm not entirely clear about how you want it to move. The 'Z' displacement, for instance—does it pivot up or climb up the support column? A more complete description would be helpful. Even the size, although I can give it a good guess from the picture and the lifting requirement, is a bit vague. That will help determine what sort of machinery can meet your needs.

I prefer to use gearing(ex:- rack and pinion) or belt system(ex:- timing belt to pull the arm up) for my robotic mechanism. The robot must be able to move displacement of 1 meter at x znd z direction. So the robot is around 1m ++ height and 1m ++ tall. And it must be able to support 2kg item at the end tip of the fully extended arm. The speed of the movement does not really matters in my design. I hope my description here can help u to identify the mechanism suitable for my robot arm.

have you thought of screw jacks or lead screws or feed screws(as used in lathes). they can be used for linear displacement

Hmmm... this thing is about twice as big as I'd estimated. Since you've declared your preference for gears and belts, which are both very serviceable approaches, your question then would be a matter of how to implement the design. Since Ank and I both suggested screwjacks, you might consider that as a good option. It's still technically 'gearing', since it's essentially a linear worm-and-roller train. Outside of hydraulics, it's my personal favourite where a lot of force is needed in a small package. Also, like hydraulics, the movement is non-reversible by the load; once you stop the drive motor, that thing is locked in position. With regular gears, chains, pulleys, belts, etc., you have to either maintain input power or build in an auxilliary locking device. It's particularly effective for situations like yours where the load is held at the end of a significant lever-arm. If it matters, it's also very smooth and quiet.

1. How do I determine the appropriate size and dimensions for my cylindrical robot arm?

The size and dimensions of a cylindrical robot arm depend on several factors, including the intended use, weight and size of the objects it will be handling, and the range of motion needed. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with experts in the field to determine the best size and dimensions for your specific needs.

2. What materials are commonly used for constructing a cylindrical robot arm?

The most common materials used for constructing a cylindrical robot arm include aluminum, steel, and composite materials. These materials offer a good balance of strength, durability, and weight, making them ideal for robotic applications. Other factors such as cost, availability, and ease of machining may also influence material selection.

3. How do I choose the appropriate motors for my cylindrical robot arm?

The choice of motors for a cylindrical robot arm will largely depend on the weight and size of the arm, as well as the required range of motion and speed. Generally, servo motors are preferred for their precise control, while stepper motors are better suited for applications where high torque is needed. It is important to carefully consider your specific needs and consult with experts in the field to choose the best motors for your robot arm.

4. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when designing a cylindrical robot arm?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when designing a robotic arm. Some important safety considerations to keep in mind include implementing proper emergency stop mechanisms, ensuring proper guarding and shielding to prevent injury to nearby personnel, and regular maintenance and inspection to identify and address any potential hazards.

5. What software or programming languages are commonly used for controlling a cylindrical robot arm?

There are various software and programming languages that can be used to control a cylindrical robot arm, depending on the specific application and hardware being used. Some popular options include ROS (Robot Operating System), MATLAB, and Python, which offer a wide range of libraries and tools for robotic applications. It is important to carefully consider your specific needs and consult with experts to determine the best software and programming language for your project.