Human Biology Help-Apologies for Vagueness

There may also be a connection between the substance abuse history and the abnormal liver findings.In summary, the conversation revolves around a student who is seeking help with their homework on the topic of infection and disease. They are specifically struggling with finding the relationship between observations from a liver biopsy and a student's medical findings, which may point to diabetes. The conversation also mentions the student's substance abuse history and how it may be connected to the abnormal liver findings.
Kabia
I will try to follow the guidelines in the template but I may fall short as I copied and pasted this from another one of my threads on another forum. Apologies.

I know I just joined but I'm in dire need of some homework help as I don't what to search on google and it's difficult to find information in my textbooks.

Please help me even tho I just joined :P

1:Question 1

A Liver biopsy was taken from a teenage boy with apparent liver disease and different microscopic techniques for viewing the sample were employed. The biopsy had an unusually extensive SER[Smooth endoplasmic reticulum] and the patient admitted to a history of substance abuse. In addition an abnormally large amount of Glycogen granules were found and many intact glycogen granules were sealed within secondary lymosomes. Lab anaylsis revealed a lack of the enzyme that hydrolysises glycogen.

What is the relationship between these observations??

Question 2

A student complained of being constantly thirsty. during a lab exercise at school invovling urine anaylsis, he discovered that his Urea contained a significant amount of glucose. After a medical examination, he later leanred that he hyperglycemia and hyperkalimia and a high plasma osmoality. He was also told that his ECG showed some abnormalities.

How might the student's symptons and medical findings be interrelated?

My teacher also said that studying the cell,diabetes and it's symptons and transport of substances in and out of the cell might help. I've studied most[cept diabetes and it's symptons], and can't seem to put it together, it may seem simple as"The boy has diabetes." but I cannot just put that sentence with proper relationship of the above.

3: We are on the topic Infection and Disease at school and on topics such as Obesity,Diabetes etc. Since teacher told us to look up on diabetes I am fairly confident that it is diabetes but I cannot[like stated above] cannot find the relationship. A good couple of lines from you may help me or just point me in the right direction.

Please help me. Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, you are on the right track to assume it is diabetes. Try thinking about the different types of diabetes and where the cellular changes occur for each form to get more specific in your answer.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your homework. I understand the importance of thorough research and accurate information. However, it is also important to provide proper credit and not copy and paste content from other sources without proper citation. In the future, please make sure to properly cite your sources to avoid plagiarism.

Now, let's discuss your questions. In regards to Question 1, the observations of an extensive SER and large amount of glycogen granules, along with a lack of the enzyme that hydrolyzes glycogen, all point towards a possible liver disease. The substance abuse history of the patient may have contributed to this condition. The presence of intact glycogen granules within secondary lysosomes suggests a problem with the breakdown and disposal of cellular waste. This could be due to a malfunction in the lysosomal enzymes, possibly caused by the liver disease.

Moving on to Question 2, the student's symptoms of constant thirst and high glucose levels in the urine, along with medical findings of hyperglycemia, hyperkalemia, and high plasma osmolality, all indicate a possible case of diabetes. The abnormalities in the ECG may be a result of the body's attempt to regulate the high glucose levels. This could also be related to the student's high plasma osmolality, which can affect the heart's ability to function properly.

Studying the cell, diabetes, and transport of substances in and out of the cell may help you understand the relationship between these observations and the student's symptoms and medical findings. Diabetes is a disease that affects the body's ability to regulate blood sugar levels, which can impact various cellular processes and lead to symptoms like excessive thirst and high glucose levels. Additionally, studying the transport of substances in and out of the cell can help you understand how imbalances in glucose and other molecules can affect the body's overall function and lead to disease.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction for your research. Remember to always properly cite your sources and continue to seek out accurate and reliable information. Good luck with your studies!

What is human biology?

Human biology is the study of the structure, function, and behavior of the human body. It involves understanding the various systems and processes that make up the human body, including genetics, physiology, anatomy, and biochemistry.

Why is it important to study human biology?

Studying human biology is important for several reasons. It allows us to better understand how our bodies work and how to maintain our health. It also helps us to understand the causes of diseases and develop treatments for them. Additionally, understanding human biology can help us better appreciate the complexity and diversity of human life.

What are the main branches of human biology?

The main branches of human biology include anatomy, physiology, genetics, biochemistry, and immunology. Other related fields include neuroscience, pharmacology, and pathology.

What are some common topics in human biology?

Some common topics in human biology include cell structure and function, the cardiovascular system, the respiratory system, the digestive system, the nervous system, and the endocrine system. Other topics may include genetics, reproduction, and the immune system.

How can I learn more about human biology?

There are many ways to learn more about human biology, including taking courses at a university or community college, reading books and articles on the subject, attending lectures and seminars, and participating in hands-on experiences such as lab work or volunteering at a medical facility. Additionally, there are many online resources available, such as educational websites, podcasts, and videos, that can provide information and insights on human biology.