How do I evaluate the integral [integral] x^2 cos mx dx using u-substitution?

• Thread starter Zack88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, it is important to double check your work because it ensures accuracy and helps prevent mistakes. You should double check whenever accuracy is crucial and it can be done by reviewing line by line, getting feedback, or taking breaks. Common mistakes that can be caught include typos, incorrect calculations, and missing data. Double checking is not a waste of time as it can save time in the long run and demonstrates attention to detail.
Zack88
I have to evaluate the integral

problem: [integral] x^2 cos mx dx

my solution w/ steps: u = x^2, du = 2x. dv = cos mx, v = sin mx / m

(x^2)(sin mx / m) - [integral] (sin mx / m)(2x)

(x^2)(sin mx / m) - 2 [integral] (sin mx / m) (x)

(x^2)(sin mx / m) + 2 (cos mx / m) + c [is this correct?]

any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to integrate (xsinmx)/m by parts again.

ok when should I do that after which step?

wait what would that look like?

(xsinmx)/m

u = ? dv = ?

try u=x and dv=sinmx/m dx

1. Why is it important to double check my work?

Double checking your work is important because it helps ensure accuracy and prevents mistakes. It allows you to catch any errors or inconsistencies before they become bigger problems.

2. How do I know when I should double check my work?

You should double check your work whenever you are completing a task that requires accuracy, such as conducting experiments, analyzing data, or writing reports. It is also helpful to double check your work when you are feeling fatigued or distracted.

3. What are some common mistakes that can be caught by double checking my work?

Common mistakes that can be caught by double checking your work include typos, incorrect calculations, missing data, and misinterpreted results. Double checking also helps catch any steps that may have been skipped or overlooked.

4. How can I effectively double check my work?

One effective way to double check your work is to go through it line by line, comparing it to the instructions or guidelines. Another method is to have a colleague or peer review your work and offer feedback. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to your work with fresh eyes.

5. Is double checking my work a waste of time?

No, double checking your work is not a waste of time. In fact, it can save time in the long run by preventing mistakes and avoiding the need to redo work. It also shows attention to detail and a commitment to producing high quality work.