Exploring the Mystery of Dark Matter in Galactic Clusters

• Thread starter twinsen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, evidence for dark matter comes from analyzing the motion of galaxies in clusters. The first clue was found in 1933 and current observations are based on X-ray studies or gravitational lensing. However, the nature of dark matter is still unknown. It is also believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.
twinsen
Is dark matter required to explain the forces between galaxies or is it purely on a galactic scale.
Have there been any measures on dark matter in galactic clusters. Does M31 get influenced by dark matter in the milky way or does the visble matter in the milky way supply the required force to explain the movement of m31?

Alex

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm far from an expert in this area, but I think that a significant amount of evidence for dark matter comes from the analysis of the motion of galaxies in clusters.

I don't know anything about the M31-MW orbit, but I know that the LMC and SMC orbits are explained based on the Milky Way having a large dark matter halo.

The first hystorical clue for dark matter was found by Fritz Zwicky in 1933 by observations of the Coma galactic cluster. The rotation curves of spiral galaxies came later. Current observations that actually measure the distribution of gravitating matter (most of which seems dark) in clusters are based on X-ray studies of the cluster gas or graviational lensing.

If you want to be well informed about the history and contemporary research in dark matter/energy, I suggest reading "Dark Side of the Universe" by Iain Nicolson. It's without formulas but gives a very good account on the history of the subject and all contemporary collaborations working in that field, even future experiments planned.

Funnily enough I've just started a lecture course on this very topic!
...and cadnr, the evidence for dark matter does indeed come from analyzing motion of galaxies in clusters.

I don't think dark matter can actually be used in calculations yet because no-one actually knows what it is.

I believe it is theorized that dark matter (hence dark energy) is the reason the expansion of the universe is accelerating and not a constant expansion.

1. What is intergalactic gravity?

Intergalactic gravity is the force of attraction between celestial bodies, such as galaxies, that are located in different parts of the universe.

2. How does intergalactic gravity affect the movement of galaxies?

Intergalactic gravity plays a crucial role in shaping the structure of the universe. The force of gravity pulls galaxies towards each other, causing them to cluster together or form larger structures such as galaxy superclusters.

3. Can intergalactic gravity be observed or measured?

Yes, scientists can observe and measure the effects of intergalactic gravity on the movement of galaxies through various methods such as gravitational lensing and redshift measurements.

4. Is intergalactic gravity the same as the force of gravity on Earth?

No, intergalactic gravity operates on a much larger scale and is affected by the mass and distribution of matter in the universe, whereas the force of gravity on Earth is primarily determined by the mass and distance of objects on our planet.

5. How does our understanding of intergalactic gravity contribute to our knowledge of the universe?

Studying intergalactic gravity helps us understand the evolution and structure of the universe. It also provides insights into the distribution of dark matter, which is a mysterious substance that makes up a large portion of the universe's mass.