Is Metric Required for Expansion and Causality in Science?

In summary: I take it that causality requires time to be continuous so that at "every" step of a sequence of events, no matter how small those steps are, you can say that the past is "connected" to the future. It seems that if time is not continuous or connected, then it is not possible to say that two event in ANY way depend on each other. The causal relation is broken if the time betwen them is not connected. Same comment for space.
Mike2
Is it possible to say that something is growing and expand, or even proceeding in a causal manner, without a metric? Or does expansion require a metric so that it is possible to compare one state of something to its state from a different time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think so.

We can talk about size without referring to geometry: we can talk about the cardinality of a set. Of course, I think that has the problem then of how to give a "nice" description of local behaviour. Somehow we need to describe the propagation of the elements of the set in terms of causal laws.

I think quantum causal set theory is related to this problem. Not sure though.

Strictly speaking, even "counting" the cardinality of a set is a (discrete) metric.

In order to be able to talk about "growing and expanding" you need to be able to measure and that is what a metric is.

I don't know what you mean by "proceeding in a causal way"!

HallsofIvy said:
Strictly speaking, even "counting" the cardinality of a set is a (discrete) metric.

In order to be able to talk about "growing and expanding" you need to be able to measure and that is what a metric is.

I don't know what you mean by "proceeding in a causal way"!
I take it that causality requires time to be continuous so that at "every" step of a sequence of events, no matter how small those steps are, you can say that the past is "connected" to the future. It seems that if time is not continuous or connected, then it is not possible to say that two event in ANY way depend on each other. The causal relation is broken if the time betwen them is not connected. Same comment for space.

I just am not sure whether an "amount" of spacetime necessarily required a metric. But if it does then causality proves the existence of a continuous spacetime metric. Next, of course, would be to prove the necessity of the equation for the metric.

Causality does not require continuity. Continuity is speculation anyway.

turin said:
Causality does not require continuity. Continuity is speculation anyway.
OK, continuity may be too strong a word. I think I only meant connected in the topological sense. I'm wondering if we can derive the metric from these kinds of necessities.

1. Does expansion imply a change in the metric of space?

Yes, expansion does imply a change in the metric of space. This is because as space expands, the distances between objects also increase, leading to a change in the measurement of space.

2. How does the expansion of the universe affect the metric of space?

The expansion of the universe causes the metric of space to change over time. As the universe expands, the distances between objects increase, leading to a change in the metric of space.

3. Can the metric of space be measured and quantified?

Yes, the metric of space can be measured and quantified using tools such as rulers, measuring tapes, and telescopes. Scientists have developed mathematical models to describe the changing metric of space due to expansion.

4. Is the metric of space constant throughout the universe?

No, the metric of space is not constant throughout the universe. It is affected by various factors such as the distribution of matter and energy, gravitational forces, and the expansion of the universe.

5. How does the concept of "dark energy" relate to the expansion and metric of space?

Dark energy is believed to be the force responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. As space expands, the metric also changes, and dark energy plays a role in this change by pushing galaxies further apart.