How Do You Calculate the Potential Energy Between Two Dipoles?

In summary, the potential energy of interaction between two dipoles is given by U(r)=\frac{q_{1}q_{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{2}{r}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{d^{2}+r^{2}+2rdcos\theta}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{d^{2}+r^{2}-2rdcos\theta}}\right). Simplifying yields q1 & -q2: \sqrt{d^{2}+r^{2}+2rdcos\theta} and q1 & q2: \sqrt{
raintrek

Homework Statement

Consider two dipoles with moments u1 and u2 arranged as in the following diagram. Each dipole is depicted as two charges of equal magnitude separated by a distance d. The centre-to-centre separation of the two dipoles is the distance r. The line joining the two dipole centres makes an angle theta with the lower dipole (ie. q1 and -q1). Derive an expression in terms of u1, u2, theta and r which describes the potential energy of interaction of these two dipoles which is valid when d<<r. In the spirit of the hint below, your answer should not consider any (d/r)^n terms where n is greater than 2:

http://ds9.trekcore.com/dipole.JPG

Hint:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-ax}}\approx1+\frac{1}{2}ax+\frac{3}{8}a^{2}x^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]U(r)=\frac{kQQ}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to solve this for the past hour without any luck. It centers around getting an expression for the separation between q1 and -q2, and -q1 and q2. I'm fairly certain the expression should be from Pythagoras given the hint (ie, I need to take a square root of r at some point), but I can't find one which involves d/r as also specified in the hint. If anyone could offer any pointers, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I've got a little bit further (this seems brutal!)

I've been able to see that the separations of the charges mentioned above are:

q1 & -q2: [tex]\sqrt{(d+rcos\theta)^{2}+(rsin\theta)^{2}}[/tex]
-q1 & q2: [tex]\sqrt{(-d+rcos\theta)^{2}+(rsin\theta)^{2}}[/tex]

Simplifying:

q1 & -q2: [tex]\sqrt{d^{2}+r^{2}+2rdcos\theta}[/tex]
-q1 & q2: [tex]\sqrt{d^{2}+r^{2}-2rdcos\theta}[/tex]

However this quickly makes the dipole-dipole interaction energy horrible:

[tex]U(r)=\frac{q_{1}q_{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{2}{r}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{d^{2}+r^{2}+2rdcos\theta}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{d^{2}+r^{2}-2rdcos\theta}}\right)[/tex]

From that point I see no way to simplify the last two terms to get to a point where I can apply the Taylor expansion in the hint. I really am pulling my hair out over this now, if anyone can suggest anything I'd be ever grateful!

LOL, ok probably talking to myself here. Still playing around with this, taken it further, although I'm pretty sure my final answer here is wrong...

http://voy.trekcore.com/working.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative electrical charges within a molecule. It is a vector quantity that describes the overall polarity of a molecule.

2. How is dipole moment calculated?

Dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the charge of each atom in the molecule by its distance from the center of mass. The resulting values are then summed to get the overall dipole moment of the molecule.

3. What is the significance of dipole moment in chemistry?

The dipole moment of a molecule can affect its physical and chemical properties. It can determine the solubility, boiling point, and reactivity of a molecule. It also plays a role in intermolecular interactions, such as dipole-dipole and dipole-induced dipole interactions.

4. How does dipole moment affect molecular polarity?

Molecular polarity is determined by the presence of a dipole moment. If a molecule has a non-zero dipole moment, it is considered polar, meaning it has a positive and negative end. If a molecule has a zero dipole moment, it is considered nonpolar.

5. Can dipole moment be affected by external electric fields?

Yes, external electric fields can affect the dipole moment of a molecule. The electric field can either align or oppose the dipole moment of the molecule, depending on the direction of the field. This can lead to changes in the physical and chemical properties of the molecule.