Is Radians Dimensionless in Scientific Measurements?

• Thread starter .NoStyle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between radius and radians. While radius is a measure of length, radians are dimensionless. The individual realizes their mistake and thanks the other person for correcting them.
.NoStyle
I'm inclined to believe that radius is a measure of length, so doesn't that mean it's dimensional?

I am probably wrong...

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SI unit of length is meter, and yes, radius is a length, is defined as the line segment trough the center to any point of the circunference

Last edited:
.NoStyle said:
I'm inclined to believe that radius is a measure of length, so doesn't that mean it's dimensional?

I am probably wrong...

thanks

I think you're thinking of radians which in fact are dimensionless.

calef said:
I think you're thinking of radians which in fact are dimensionless.

shoot you're right, radians, not radius. Thanks you're right.

1. What does it mean for a dimension to be dimensionless?

For a dimension to be dimensionless means that it does not have any units associated with it. This means that it is a pure number and does not have a physical quantity attached to it.

2. Is the radius a dimensionless quantity?

No, the radius is not a dimensionless quantity. It has units associated with it, such as meters or centimeters. The radius is a physical quantity that represents the distance from the center of a circle or sphere to its outer edge.

3. Why is the radius sometimes referred to as a dimensionless quantity?

The radius is sometimes referred to as a dimensionless quantity because it can be expressed as a ratio of two quantities with the same units, such as the circumference divided by the diameter for a circle. In this case, the units cancel out and the resulting value is a pure number without any units.

4. Can the radius be converted to a dimensionless quantity?

Yes, the radius can be converted to a dimensionless quantity by dividing it by another quantity with the same units. This is often done in mathematical equations to simplify calculations.

5. What are some examples of dimensionless quantities?

Some examples of dimensionless quantities include angles (measured in radians or degrees), percentages, and unitless ratios such as the Reynolds number in fluid dynamics. These quantities do not have any physical units associated with them and are considered dimensionless.