Find Current Through R2: Mesh Analysis

I3. The solution for I2 and I3 can be found by solving the system of equations. In summary, the person is asking for help with their mesh analysis and has provided their attempted solution and equations. Another user has confirmed that the equations look correct and suggests solving for the unknown currents.
sea.flea
Hello everybody on the physics forum, i was just looking for someone to point me in the right direction and tell me if my equations are right

Homework Statement

Determine the current though the resistance R2 by mesh analysis
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a77e95d378.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, this is what i have so far:
Loop 1: I1=1A
Loop 2: R3(I2-I3)+R4(I2-I1)=12
Loop 3: -R1(I3-I1)+R3(I3-I2)-R2I3=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah it looks ok to me. Just solve for I2 and I3.

sea.flea said:
Hello everybody on the physics forum, i was just looking for someone to point me in the right direction and tell me if my equations are right

Homework Statement

Determine the current though the resistance R2 by mesh analysis
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a77e95d378.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, this is what i have so far:
Loop 1: I1=1A
Loop 2: R3(I2-I3)+R4(I2-I1)=12
Loop 3: -R1(I3-I1)+R3(I3-I2)-R2I3=0

In loop 3 all signs should be the same (positive or negative)

1. What is "Find Current Through R2: Mesh Analysis"?

"Find Current Through R2: Mesh Analysis" refers to a method used in electrical circuit analysis to determine the current flowing through a specific resistor (R2) in a circuit using mesh analysis technique.

2. How does mesh analysis work?

Mesh analysis works by dividing a circuit into smaller loops (or meshes) and applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to each loop. By setting up equations using the known voltages and resistances in the circuit, the current in each loop can be solved for using simultaneous equations.

3. Why is mesh analysis useful?

Mesh analysis is useful because it provides a systematic approach to analyzing complex circuits. It allows for the determination of individual currents in different parts of the circuit, making it easier to understand the behavior of the circuit and troubleshoot any issues.

4. Can mesh analysis be used for any type of circuit?

Mesh analysis can be used for any type of circuit, as long as it can be divided into smaller loops or meshes. However, it is most commonly used for circuits with multiple independent current sources and series-parallel combinations of resistors.

5. What are the limitations of mesh analysis?

While mesh analysis can be very useful, it does have some limitations. It can become more complex for circuits with many loops, and it may not be as efficient for circuits with more voltage sources than current sources. Additionally, it assumes linear circuit elements and can become more difficult to solve for non-linear elements.