Computer Science, COmputer Engineer or Electric Engineer

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between studying computer science, computer engineering, and electrical engineering. The individual is interested in building computer parts and chips for mechanical projects and is seeking advice on which career path to pursue. The conversation also touches on the overlap between these fields and the importance of gaining experience and having specific interests. Overall, there is a lot of overlap between the degrees and the specific job roles may vary depending on individual skills and interests.
SuperMiguel
Which carree should i study?? Computer Science, COmputer Engineer or Electric Engineer. I am working on computer science now, but i get really bored programing, so i may want to change to something else. I have a interest in building things, like processors, motherboard, or computer parts in general. I like the idea of building chips for mechanical moving projects (robots). Which career should i study? thank .. ohh by the way i live in USA, in tampa FL to be more specific ... thank u all

Physics news on Phys.org
now I am more confused between computer engineering and electrical engineering... Which focus more in low voltage disign?? like computer parts, or smart chips, etc

I'd say comp engine.

So CE is the way to go? how about both, i read they are really similar like few clases difference. can you become a CE and a EE using the same path? and like make more money or be more knowledgeable over all...?

CE and EE take mostly the same classes for the first two years. They begin to diverge after the third semester. You did say you're in CS, and comp eng is closer to CS than EE. I'd think of EE as closer to physics.

ya i really like computers, and i do programing but i don't feel like i would like to work as a programer all day. Like i rather make a chip and then write the firmware for it... i guess that is a CE job right??

this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_engineering, says that computer engineer will work more with computer components, and electronic engineer is the one that work with chips and processors (complex electronic circuits) and programs them... Then should i got with Electrical engineering and especialize myself into electronics? WOOT I am confused "_"

I also just spoke to one of the teacher at USF, and he said that on USF CE is strictly software, and EE is software, that if i want to have software and hardware i would have to go fo both like a 2 semester to get both.. is this true?

Two things...

First of all, the computer industry tends towards specialization. There are chip designers, board designers, firmware programmers, system programmers, and application programmers. There is overlap... but generally speaking, the guy who designs the chips won't write the firmware.

Secondly, with languages like Verilog, even hardware design is a lot like programming these days.

so what specific does the CE does and what does the EE does?? if we use a computer as a example?

SuperMiguel said:
so what specific does the CE does and what does the EE does?? if we use a computer as a example?

The thing that makes all of this confusing is that the jobs are not really in a one-to-one correspondence with the degrees. There is a lot of overlap, and exactly what you end up doing depends a lot on the experience that you get and your particular interests.

EE tends to be more focused on hardware and CS more on software, with CE somewhere in between. EEs also learn a lot about analog circuits, and CS majors get more about artificial intelligence and algorithm theory. CE is sort of a combination of the two, cutting out the more theoretical CS work and the analog EE stuff.

Isn't CE just EE with a bit more programming, a little less circuit design?

From what I see, In most employment cases they are interchangeable assuming you have strong programming and engineering background.

If you are interested in computers or other digital circuitry, CE and EE are fairly interchangable.

If you want to design antennas or power supplies though... :smile:

1. What is the difference between computer science, computer engineering, and electrical engineering?

Computer science is focused on the theoretical foundations of computing and programming languages, while computer engineering combines computer science with electrical engineering to design and develop computer hardware and software. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates with degrees in computer science, computer engineering, and electrical engineering?

Graduates with degrees in computer science can work as software developers, data scientists, or cybersecurity analysts. Computer engineering graduates can pursue careers as computer hardware engineers, embedded systems designers, or network architects. Electrical engineering graduates can work as power systems engineers, telecommunications engineers, or electronic design engineers.

3. What skills are required for a successful career in computer science, computer engineering, or electrical engineering?

Some key skills for success in these fields include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong analytical skills. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages, knowledge of computer hardware and software, and excellent communication skills are important for success.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in mathematics to pursue a degree in computer science, computer engineering, or electrical engineering?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is important for success in these fields. Concepts such as algebra, calculus, and statistics are essential for understanding and developing complex algorithms, designing computer systems, and analyzing data.

5. What are some emerging technologies in the fields of computer science, computer engineering, and electrical engineering?

Some emerging technologies in these fields include artificial intelligence, machine learning, virtual and augmented reality, and Internet of Things (IoT) devices. These technologies are rapidly advancing and opening up new opportunities for innovation and growth in various industries.