Permutation and Combination

In summary: Its wrong because its the same as AABB...But still, I want to generalise the result not by fixing m or n :eek:
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Find the number of arrangements possible for arranging m+n things in a circular orientation, such that m things are alike and th other n things are also alike but of diffrent kind as from the first category.

Attempt:
I fix one thing. I am left with m+n-1
So the number of arrangements should be= [tex]\frac{(m+n-1)!}{(m-1)!n!}[/tex]
what is wrong with this approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06 said:
Find the number of arrangements possible for arranging m+n things in a circular orientation, such that m things are alike and th other n things are also alike but of diffrent kind as from the first category.

I fix one thing. I am left with m+n-1
So the number of arrangements should be= [tex]\frac{(m+n-1)!}{(m-1)!n!}[/tex]
what is wrong with this approach?

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

Hint: if m = n = 2, there are only two possible arrangements … AABB and ABAB, but your formula gives 3!/2! = 3, because it includes ABBA.

Can you see why that's wrong, and how to deal with it? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ritwik06! :smile:

Hint: if m = n = 2, there are only two possible arrangements … AABB and ABAB, but your formula gives 3!/2! = 3, because it includes ABBA.

Can you see why that's wrong, and how to deal with it? :wink:

Yeah, Thats wrong.
So what should I do know? How can I check?? Is it only one arrangement that repeats itself?? Or Are there more? How can I find out? Making possible cases is easy when m,n are small but hen they are big its difficult. Help me please.

ritwik06 said:
Yeah, Thats wrong.
So what should I do know? How can I check?? Is it only one arrangement that repeats itself?? Or Are there more? How can I find out? Making possible cases is easy when m,n are small but hen they are big its difficult. Help me please.

Come on … think! :smile:

ABBA is wrong because … ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Come on … think! :smile:

ABBA is wrong because … ? :wink:

Its wrong because its the same as AABB...
But still, I want to generalise the result not by fixing m or n :eek:

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation is the number of ways to arrange a set of objects in a particular order, while combination is the number of ways to select a subset of objects from a larger set without regard to order.

2. How do I calculate permutations and combinations?

The formula for permutations is nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. The formula for combinations is nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!).

3. Are there any real-life applications of permutation and combination?

Yes, permutation and combination are used in fields such as statistics, genetics, and computer science. For example, in genetics, the number of possible gene combinations from parents to offspring can be calculated using permutations and combinations.

4. What is the significance of factorial in permutation and combination?

The factorial symbol (!) in permutation and combination represents the product of all the positive integers from 1 to the given number. It is used to calculate the number of possible arrangements or selections in a given scenario.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life situation that involves both permutation and combination?

An example of a real-life situation that involves both permutation and combination is a lottery where a set of numbers is chosen from a larger pool of numbers. The order of the chosen numbers does not matter, so it involves combination. However, the total number of possible combinations is a permutation calculation.