What to Expect in My New Job

• Thread starter hasel001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the speaker has accepted a tentative job offer in the Bathymetry department of the Naval Oceanographic Office. They are unsure of what their daily tasks will be, but they are excited about the opportunity to continue their education and potentially have it funded by their employer. The speaker also speculates on possible graduate degrees or areas of focus that would be relevant to the job, such as signal processing, mechatronics, water/oceanic physics, and shipbuilding (as a joke).
hasel001
I am a soon to graduate physics student, and I just accepted my first tentative (physics) job offer. I will be working for the Naval Oceanographic Office in a Navy Career Intern position in their Bathymetry department. I'm very thrilled, but I don't know a great deal about the subfield and have a couple of questions:

1. What might I expect to do on a daily basis? I know I'll spend at least 2 months a year on one of their survey vessels, but besides that, I'm somewhat in the dark about it. With it being a Career Intern position, I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to learn as I go, so my uncertainty brings with it no qualms.

2. My interviewers made sure they emphasized that I would have the opportunity (read: be pushed) to continue my education. I'm also thrilled about this, and I know they will be more inclined to fund my grad school if it's well related to my job. What graduate degrees or emphases would come to mind that relate to such a job?

Thanks for any input. I'm sure I'll learn enough about it in time, but I would love some ideas on which to speculate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bathymetry? Is that the thing where you measure the ocean floor in different ways?

If it's that, then I have some speculations.

* Signal processing would be quite useful, like interpreting the images that gets sent from some kind of sound-beam towards the ocean floor.

* Maybe mechatronics(for building more effcient datamodels/internal communication in the machines), although I think it's a stretch on bathymetry.

* Water/oceanic-physics. I think that will always be relevant for a bathymetrist.

* Shipbuilding? (nah just a joke. ;), that one was free of charge).

Congratulations on your new job offer! Working for the Naval Oceanographic Office in the Bathymetry department sounds like a great opportunity for a physics graduate. As for your questions, here are some things you can expect in your new job:

1. Daily tasks: As a physics graduate, you will most likely be involved in collecting and analyzing data related to oceanography and bathymetry. This could involve using various instruments and equipment to measure water depth, studying ocean currents and tides, and analyzing data to create maps and charts. You may also be involved in planning and executing surveys on the survey vessel, as well as processing and interpreting the data collected.

2. Opportunities for continued education: It's great that your interviewers emphasized the importance of continuing your education. With a background in physics and experience in bathymetry, you may want to consider graduate degrees or emphases in fields such as oceanography, geophysics, or marine science. These fields would provide a deeper understanding of the physical processes that govern the ocean and would be highly relevant to your job in bathymetry.

In addition, you may also want to consider pursuing certifications or training in specific software or tools that are commonly used in the field of bathymetry. This will not only enhance your skills and knowledge, but also make you a more valuable asset to your team.

Overall, your job in the Bathymetry department will likely involve a combination of fieldwork, data analysis, and continuous learning. It's an exciting and dynamic field, and I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunities to grow and develop as a scientist. Best of luck in your new role!

1. What are the typical responsibilities of my new job?

The responsibilities of your new job will vary depending on the specific position and company. Generally, you can expect to have a set of tasks or duties that you are responsible for completing on a regular basis. This may include attending meetings, completing projects, communicating with colleagues and clients, and more.

2. How will my performance be evaluated in my new job?

Performance evaluations also vary from company to company, but they typically involve a review of your work and accomplishments over a specific period of time. Your supervisor or manager may set specific goals and expectations for you to meet, and your performance will be assessed based on how well you meet those goals.

3. Will I receive any training for my new job?

Many companies offer some form of training for new employees to help them get acclimated to their new roles. This may include on-the-job training, mentorship programs, or formal training sessions. Be sure to ask your supervisor or HR representative about any training opportunities available to you.

4. What is the company culture like?

Company culture refers to the overall values, attitudes, and behaviors of the organization. It can vary greatly from company to company and can greatly impact your experience in your new job. It's a good idea to research the company's culture before starting your new job and observe how employees interact with each other during your onboarding process.

5. What are the opportunities for advancement in my new job?

The opportunities for advancement will depend on the company's structure and policies, as well as your performance and qualifications. It's important to have open communication with your supervisor about your career goals and discuss potential opportunities for growth within the company. Additionally, you can seek out professional development opportunities to help you advance in your career.