Can I Do a Physics Degree Without A Level Physics?

In summary, you may not be able to enter a university directly with top marks in all subjects and a BTEC, but you may be able to enter if you study physics first at A level and have a BTEC in that subject.
Gregg
In my first year at college I have taken BND IT, BNA Sport in the second year I have taken AS Maths, A2 Maths and Further Maths AS (FP1, M1, M2). With my mind set on a Physics degree and with top grades in all subjects will a degree be possible for me without it being studied at A level? If it is possible would I have to endure a preliminary year or take a foundations degree? If so, would this affect my chances of being entered into a desired university. I'm not really sure what my options are and I am quite sure that AS and A2 Physics is out of the question at this point.

This is generally directed at British residents but for anyone else who does not live in the UK or studied maths before its new structure:

FP1: Further Pure 1
M1, M2: Mechanics 1 & 2
BND: BTEC National Diploma; 1080 guided learning hours, no exams, 360 UCAS points approx.
BNA: BTEC Nataional Award; 360 guided learning hours, no exams, 120 UCAS points approx.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your best option is to contact specific universities, but my gut instinct is that you won't be accepted directly onto a physics degree program with no physics A level. Also, most departments only advertise their required A level grades and say something like "candidates with other qualifications like BTEC, GNVQ, international diplomas etc.. will be considered separately." Since you've got a mix of A levels and BTECs, I don't think anyone other than admissions departments will be able to tell you with any kind of authority.

I think that people with BTEC qualifications are considered separately for entry if the course was, say, a BNA in Physics. I don't think that my BTEC would be able to be considered in that way, having nothing to do with Physics.

I was thinking that top marks in all subjects would be adequete instead of doing 3 A levels doing BND, BNA, A level (AS + A2) and an extra AS level which would equate to 660 UCAS points or 5 A levels and one AS. I was trying to compensate for BTEC with UCAS points since they are less credible and have no examiniations.

Are you saying that the BTEC qualifications so much less credibility that A levels that I may not even be considered for entry to a university that requires an AAA let alone on a foundation or preliminary year Physics degree?

1. Can I still do a physics degree without having studied physics at A Level?

Yes, it is possible to do a physics degree without having studied it at A Level. Many universities offer foundation courses or bridging programs to help students catch up on the necessary knowledge and skills.

2. What subjects do I need to have studied in order to do a physics degree?

While A Level physics is not always a requirement, it is highly recommended to have a strong background in mathematics and science, including subjects like calculus, algebra, and chemistry.

3. Will not having studied physics at A Level put me at a disadvantage in a physics degree?

Not necessarily. While it may take some extra effort to catch up on the foundations of physics, many universities also offer introductory courses for students with little to no prior knowledge in the subject.

4. Are there any alternative qualifications that would be accepted for a physics degree?

Yes, there are alternative qualifications that are accepted by universities for a physics degree, such as the International Baccalaureate (IB) or the Cambridge Pre-U. It is important to check with individual universities for their specific requirements.

5. What skills do I need to have in order to succeed in a physics degree?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics and science, it is important to have critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a curiosity and passion for understanding the physical world. Strong communication and analytical skills are also beneficial for a physics degree.