I need to to find the moment of inertia for the system

In summary, a 2 kg uniform rod of length 1m, constrained to rotate about a horizontal axis passing through its center, has a 1.5 kg point mass and a 0.5 kg point mass attached to its ends. The 1.5 kg mass is given a downward push with an initial velocity of 1.2 m/s. To solve for its motion, the equation of moment of inertia is used, with the correct values for the masses and distance from the center of mass. The initial kinetic energy and total angle of the rod coming to rest can then be calculated using the equations for rotational kinetic energy and conservation of energy.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

2 kg uniform rod of length 1m is constrained to rotate about a horizontal axis passing through its center. The rod has a 1.5 kg point mass attached to one end and a 0.5 kg point mass attached to the other end. The 1.5 kg mass is given a downward push so that it starts moving with an initial velocity of 1.2 m/s.

Ok I used the equation of moment of inertia or rotational inertia
I=m(r)^2

Here's what I did
m1=.5 kg
m2=1.5 kg
M=2kg
r=1/2 because L =1m and the center of mass is in the middle of the rod
thus I plugged in the variable

I=.5(1/2)^2 +1.5(1/2)^2
=.5 kg*m^2

is that right

and next i have to find the initial kinetic energy and then i have to find the total angle of it coming to rest. I need help

Physics news on Phys.org
afcwestwarrior said:
2 kg uniform rod of length 1m is constrained to rotate about a horizontal axis passing through its center. The rod has a 1.5 kg point mass attached to one end and a 0.5 kg point mass attached to the other end. The 1.5 kg mass is given a downward push so that it starts moving with an initial velocity of 1.2 m/s.

I=.5(1/2)^2 +1.5(1/2)^2
=.5 kg*m^2

is that right

and next i have to find the initial kinetic energy and then i have to find the total angle of it coming to rest.

Hi afcwestwarrior! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)

Yes, your I is right … but don't forget to add on the I of the rod itself! :wink:

Now use rotational KE = (1/2)Iω2,

and PE + KE = constant. :smile:

with the moment of inertia calculationYes, your calculation for the moment of inertia is correct. To find the initial kinetic energy, you can use the formula K = 1/2 * I * w^2, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity. Since the rod is constrained to rotate about a horizontal axis, the angular velocity is equal to the linear velocity divided by the radius (w = v/r). So, the initial kinetic energy would be K = 1/2 * (.5 kg*m^2) * (1.2 m/s)^2 = 0.36 J.

To find the total angle of the rod coming to rest, you can use the formula K = 1/2 * I * w^2 again, but this time, the final kinetic energy would be zero since the rod has come to rest. So, you can solve for the final angular velocity and use the formula w = v/r to find the total angle. I hope this helps!

1. What is the moment of inertia for a system?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In other words, it is a measure of how difficult it is to rotate an object around a given axis.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia for a system can be calculated by summing the products of each point mass in the system with the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This can also be expressed mathematically as I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of each point mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units of mass and distance used in the calculation. In SI units, the moment of inertia is typically measured in kg∙m².

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by the distribution of mass in a system. Objects with more mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but distributed closer to the axis.

5. Why is the moment of inertia important in physics?

The moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it helps to explain and predict an object's rotational motion. It is used in many equations related to rotational dynamics, such as angular momentum and rotational kinetic energy.