Choosing Physics or Computer Science: Which is Right for You?

• Thread starter Ballscity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Physics
In summary, the conversation revolved around the choice between pursuing a physics major or a computer science major. The individual expressed interest in designing things in the future, but was unsure whether to go for a PhD or stop at a BS and Masters. The group discussed the success and job opportunities for physics and computer science majors, with the consensus being that engineering majors have an easier time getting employment. It was suggested that a double major in physics and computer science, or taking engineering courses, may be a good option. It was also mentioned that a physics MS could lead to teaching at a community college or working as an engineer, but a PhD may be necessary for a job involving physics.
Ballscity
Hey guys, I am curious if anyone can help me out with these majors. I'm at the point where I definitely need to choose one except it is still way too difficult for me.

In 10 years I want to see myself designing things, whether processors or linear accelerators or whatever. The problem is I don't know if I want to go all the way for a PHD, so BS and probably Masters is where I want to stop. I am wondering which route you guys think would be more successful and interesting to go.

I am farther along the CS route and am very successful with logic principles etc for CS but Physics has a strong attraction for me that I can't explain. If someone can bring up a strong argument for one side or the other I will pretty much leave it at that and go for it.

Also as a side note can you make decent money with a physics master? I know for sure you can with comp sci.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of physics majors program computers. I would go with the physics major and do a CS minor.

Wildman is correct. The only thing I would add is that engineering majors tend to have an easier time getting employment than physics majors (at the BS level). Physics BS majors can get jobs, but not as physicists. At this level, physicists can get jobs relating to programming, financial work, etc. My point is this: physicists don't get these jobs because they're good at physics, but because they tend to also be good at computers and mathematics. And so if employment after undergrad is your primary goal, then why not do a major which more strongly focuses on these things? I do not know how CS majors fare, but I know that engineering majors tend to have a comparatively easier time getting jobs because of their coursework in computer programming. If you're really interested in physics, your best bet would be to double major in physics and CS, and take a few engineering courses.

With a physics MS you can get a job teaching at a community college. Or you can be an engineer. The latter would definitely pay better. But if you're interested in getting a job that involves doing physics, you'll probably need a PhD.

1. What is the difference between physics and computer science?

Physics is a natural science that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It involves using mathematical equations and experiments to study everything from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest structures in space. Computer science, on the other hand, is a discipline that involves the study of computers and computational systems, including their theory, design, development, and applications. It combines elements of mathematics, engineering, and programming to create technology that can solve problems and process information.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both physics and computer science have excellent job prospects in various industries. In physics, you can work in research and development, education, government, and private companies. In computer science, you can find opportunities in software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, and more. The job market for both fields is continually growing, and it ultimately depends on your interests and skills.

3. Which field requires more math?

Both physics and computer science require a strong foundation in mathematics. Physics relies heavily on mathematical concepts and equations to describe and predict the behavior of the physical world. Computer science also involves mathematical principles, especially in areas such as algorithms, data structures, and programming languages. However, the level of math required may vary depending on your specific subfield of interest.

4. Can I major in both physics and computer science?

Yes, it is possible to double major in both physics and computer science, although it may require careful planning and time management. These two fields have some overlap, especially in areas such as computational physics and scientific computing. Having a strong understanding of both disciplines can also open up more job opportunities in fields such as data science and artificial intelligence.

5. Which field is more challenging?

Both physics and computer science can be challenging, but in different ways. Physics involves complex mathematical concepts and requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Computer science also requires problem-solving and logical thinking, as well as strong coding skills. Ultimately, the level of difficulty will depend on your strengths and interests, and how much effort you put into mastering the concepts and skills in each field.