Physics Guidance for Derek - University of Saskatchewan

In summary: Firstly, academia is more collaborative and rewarding. I have met many people in industry who are very good at what they do, but they don't like to share their work with others. Academia is a much more open environment where everyone is willing to share their work and knowledge. Secondly, academia is more forgiving. When you make a mistake in academia, people are much more forgiving and they are more likely to give you another chance. Thirdly, academia is more stable. You are more likely to be promoted to a more senior position in academia than in industry. And finally, academia is more tolerant of different viewpoints. In industry, people are often very dogmatic and they won't tolerate dissenting opinions.
dimpledur
I am currently striving towards an Honours Degree in Physics at the University of Saskatewan. However, I am hearing a lot of negative information regarding my path choice, and am looking for some unbias guidance. Basically, what I want to know is what kind of programs are there in terms of doctoral degress? I am really interested in theoretical physics, but is there even doctoral programs that can satisfy this interest? Also, if I have aspirations to perhaps one day lecture physics at a University, would that seem unreasonable? I initially was interested in pursuing a career in medicine, but I believe I would be much more happier in the realm of physics, however, I'm starting to regret that decision based on what others are telling me.

Thanks, in advance.

Derek.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretical physics isn't a field of physics, it's the way you approach a field - almost any field, from optics to astrophysics to condensed matter, could be done through experiment, modeling, and/or theory. Plenty of universities have professors who study topics using theory. It's true that there aren't as many applications for it outside of academia and some national labs, whereas a background in experimental physics or computational physics might have a broader scope. But no, your goal is not unreasonable. It's just going to be a lot of work.

Hello, dimpeldur.

I personally disagree with eri; there is a significant difference between theoretical physics and other aspects. Consider string theory and other GUTs (grand unified theories). As yet, they are entirely untestable theories and exist only on paper and in brains.

It is true that experimentalists use theoretical and simulation methods on a regular basis - I, for example, am trying to get into DFT calcualtions and use quite regularly the XVEGAS code to simulation ion scattering data - but at the end of the day I'm an experimentalist. I play with kit, I go do experiments at central failities - home and abroad - and I get my hands dirty in the process. Friends of mine that do theoretical physics sit solving differential equations and sit behind computers all day writing simulation programs from scratch. Both the physical and mental requirements of experimentalists and theoreticians are quite different.

Now, as for your questions, I'm not sure that I can help you too much as I don't live in North America - I am British - and have little knowledge of your educational system. Over here, you don't have Ph.D. programs, per se, but instead attach yourself to a research project and slog your guts out for 3-4 years getting enough new and interesting data for your thesis. But rest assured, there are Ph.Ds available that will satisfy anyone, whether you want to do experimental or theoretical physics in any field of your chosing.

I would also say it is not unreasonable to want to lecture one day - that is my aspiration too! And there are many reasons why I would prefer to work in academia rather than industry.

1. What is the purpose of "Physics Guidance for Derek" at the University of Saskatchewan?

The purpose of "Physics Guidance for Derek" at the University of Saskatchewan is to provide support and assistance to students studying physics at the university. This guidance may include academic advising, study tips, and resources for understanding complex physics concepts.

2. How can "Physics Guidance for Derek" benefit me as a physics student?

"Physics Guidance for Derek" can benefit you as a physics student by providing personalized support and resources to help you succeed in your studies. This may include one-on-one meetings, study groups, and access to additional learning materials.

3. Can "Physics Guidance for Derek" help me with specific physics courses or topics?

Yes, "Physics Guidance for Derek" can provide assistance with specific physics courses or topics. The guidance counselor will have a strong understanding of the physics curriculum at the University of Saskatchewan and can offer tailored support for your specific needs.

4. Is "Physics Guidance for Derek" available to all students at the University of Saskatchewan?

Yes, "Physics Guidance for Derek" is available to all students at the University of Saskatchewan who are studying physics. Whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student, you can benefit from the guidance and support offered by this program.

5. How can I access "Physics Guidance for Derek" at the University of Saskatchewan?

You can access "Physics Guidance for Derek" by scheduling an appointment with the guidance counselor or by attending any scheduled study groups or workshops. You can also reach out via email or phone to ask questions or request additional support.