Electrostatics charge density

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding charge density as a function of r given an electrostatic field. The method used to solve the problem is correct and there is no way to simplify the final answer. It is assumed that E0 is a constant. The conversation also clarifies the use of the vector \vec{r} and the divergence in the problem.
twotaileddemon

Homework Statement

I didn't know how to display a lot of the symbols, so I wrote the problem out in microsoft word, took a screenshot, uploaded it to photobucket, and linked it.
Basically, I have to find the charge density as a function of r given the electrostatic field in the image. Any constants are positive. Bold means it's a vector; ignore the green underline; the del function is upside down - sorry about that.
aphysicswork.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/talimtails/aphysicswork.jpg

My questions are..
1: Is my work method correct? i.e. is this how you solve for charge density?
2. Is there a way to simplify it more?
3. Is E0 a constant or not? The problem doesn't really say and is ambiguous to me. If it's not, how should I approach it? Thanks.
In all cases... please don't tell me if my answer is right or wrong. YES/NO answers are very much appreciated.

Homework Equations

Relevant equations I used in the image

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is in the image. ^_^

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, is the vector \vec{r} in E meant to be the *unit* vector in the r-direction, or not?

Last edited:
Not the gradient, but the divergence. You cannot take the gradient of a vector field.

1. The approach is correct.

2. I don't think your final answer can be simplified, but I haven't checked your math.

3. I think you can assume that E0 is constant, no reason to expect it not to be. If it is not, you have to know how it varies with r, theta and phi.

Yes, r at the end in bold is the radial unit vector
I took the divergence of E and assumed spherical for the vector derivative

Thanks for your help!

1. What is Electrostatics charge density?

Electrostatics charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit volume in a given space. It is a measure of the concentration of electric charge in a particular region.

2. How is Electrostatics charge density calculated?

The Electrostatics charge density is calculated by dividing the total electric charge in a given volume by the volume itself. The unit of measurement for charge density is coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).

3. What is the significance of Electrostatics charge density in electrostatics?

Electrostatics charge density plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electric charges in a system. It helps in determining the strength of electric fields and the magnitude of forces acting on charged particles.

4. How does the charge density affect the electric field?

The charge density directly affects the strength of the electric field. Higher charge density results in a stronger electric field, while lower charge density results in a weaker electric field. This is because the electric field is proportional to the charge density.

5. Can the charge density change in a system?

Yes, the charge density in a system can change if there is a transfer of electric charge or a redistribution of charges within the system. This can happen through various processes such as conduction, induction, or polarization.