Music Minor for Math Major: Is it Worth Pursuing in Grad School?

• Programs
  • Thread starter kbfrob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor Music
In summary, a math major is considering getting a minor in music, but is unsure if it will benefit them in any way for their PhD program. The conversation concludes that grad schools do not typically care about minors unless they are directly related to the major, and it may even be seen as a negative if the student chooses music classes over math classes. The decision to pursue a music minor should be based on personal interest rather than trying to impress admissions.
kbfrob
i'm a math major that is looking to get into a phd program for math. while fulfilling my general education requirements for my undergrad I've taken a bunch of music classes (i really enjoy music). unknowingly, I'm only two classes away from a minor in music. my question is whether or not it is worth it to take two music classes, that i don't particularly need, to get a minor. I'm definitely not lacking upper-division math classes, so although taking the music classes would probably be in place of math classes, its not like i will be missing out on a crucial class for my major. do grad schools care about minors? will it help me in any way?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, they don't really care about minors unless it is directly applicable to your major, i.e. physics and math or physics and EE or something.

They don't really care about minors, but if it comes down to you and another student who is equally well prepared, then the music minor scores you some "diversity" points in your favor.

In fact I'd say that when you have a related minor, that's when admissions folk care least.

There are no "diversity points" in PhD programs given to music minors. In fact, there are no "admissions folk" in graduate school - decisions are made by the departments.

If you like music, get the minor. But do it for yourself, because no one else will care about it.

The department might see it as a negative that you chose to take some music classes instead of math classes. Especially if they're music classes you don't really care about...

Vanadium 50 said:
There are no "diversity points" in PhD programs given to music minors. In fact, there are no "admissions folk" in graduate school - decisions are made by the departments.

Sorry. I briefly forgot that departments don't have "folk" who make "admissions" decisions.

Anyway, I just remember that last season on the physicsgre forums there were numerous people complaining about the diversity essays they had to write (though I forget which schools requested them). I know physics and math graduate programs are not the same, but at least some people do actually care about more than your GRE scores (though only slightly).

What is a music minor for a math major?

A music minor for a math major is a program that allows students to pursue a minor in music while majoring in mathematics. This typically involves taking a certain number of music courses in addition to their required math courses.

What are the benefits of pursuing a music minor as a math major?

Pursuing a music minor as a math major can provide a well-rounded education and allow for the development of skills in both analytical thinking and creative expression. It can also make a student more attractive to potential employers or graduate schools, as it shows a diverse range of interests and abilities.

Is it possible to complete a music minor while pursuing a math major in grad school?

Yes, it is possible to complete a music minor while pursuing a math major in grad school. However, it may require careful planning and time management to balance the coursework for both majors.

Will a music minor be useful in my career as a math major?

Having a music minor may not directly impact your career as a math major, but it can provide transferable skills such as time management, critical thinking, and teamwork that can be valuable in any career. It can also provide a creative outlet and balance to your more analytical studies.

Are there any drawbacks to pursuing a music minor as a math major in grad school?

One potential drawback is that taking on a music minor may add to the workload and may require additional time and effort. It is important to carefully consider your priorities and make sure you are able to handle the workload before committing to a music minor as a math major in grad school.