Can any DC 12v or 24v motor be put on a speed control?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reducing the speed of a 24v DC bilge blower without causing any damage or reducing its efficiency. Suggestions for using a pulse width modulation setup or special triac speed control units are offered, as well as using a programmable controller and isolation circuits to prevent damage from emf spikes. The conversation also mentions the need to consider the power and current requirements when choosing a controller.
JeffJohnson1
I have an operation where I need to reduce the speed of a 24v DC bilge blower. My question is: Can I put any 12volt or 24volt DC motor on a speed controller and reduce the speed of the blower/motor without damaging the motor, creating an unsafe/over-heating condition, or without reducing the power/efficiency/performance of the motor? Thanks,JJ

Engineering news on Phys.org
you might try a pulse width modulation set up, depending on what your using as a controller for the motor, I've done this before but only on small scale. hope this helps.

thoughtprocess,
Any idea where I can get a pulse controller like this? Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. I am a real newbie at this.
JJ

There are special triac (motor-rated) speed control units for 120 V ac/dc (brush) motors. You could put this upstream of a voltage reducing transformer. For reducing DC you could use a linear adjustable voltage regulator or a more efficient adjustable DC - DC (PWM) converter. What kind of power and current are you talking about?

I don't know of any place you can acquire the controllers because when i did it i used a 68hc12 microcontroller that i programmed myself to create the pulse width modulated signal depending on how fast i wanted the motor to run. you might try looking online at controllers that you can program yourself then try and find some idea as to the code that's needs to be written. And i guess the other thing is what is the currents you are working with.

you must realize that if you decide to try and program a controller yourself that isolation circuits will be need as dc motors can create emf spikes that will fry your controller.

Last edited:

1. Can any DC 12v or 24v motor be put on a speed control?

The answer to this question is not a simple yes or no. It depends on the type of speed control being used and the specifications of the motor. Some speed controls are designed specifically for 12v or 24v motors and may not be compatible with other voltages. Additionally, the motor's power and current requirements must also be considered to ensure that the speed control can handle the load.

2. Is it possible to use a speed control to change the direction of a DC motor?

Yes, it is possible to use a speed control to change the direction of a DC motor. This can be achieved by using a speed control with a built-in reversing switch or by using a separate reversing relay. However, not all speed controls have this capability, so it is important to check the specifications before purchasing.

3. Can I control the speed of a DC motor with a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal?

Yes, PWM is a commonly used method for controlling the speed of DC motors. The speed control varies the duty cycle of the PWM signal, which in turn changes the average voltage supplied to the motor and thus controls its speed. However, not all speed controls have PWM capabilities, so it is important to check the specifications before use.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a speed control with a DC motor?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a speed control with a DC motor. First, make sure the speed control and motor are compatible in terms of voltage and current requirements. It is also important to properly ground the motor and speed control to avoid electric shocks. Lastly, always follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for safe and proper use.

5. Can a speed control be used with any type of DC motor, such as brushed or brushless?

The answer to this question depends on the specific speed control. Some speed controls are designed specifically for brushed motors, while others may be compatible with both brushed and brushless motors. It is important to check the specifications of the speed control to ensure compatibility with the type of motor being used.