2nd order DE, is there a way to solve this without series?

In summary, the Airy equation is solved using a power series and the two Airy functions are related to the Bessel functions.
aeroegnr
It looks simple enough:

y'' + x*y = x^2

However, I tried and I could not find a nontrivial solution to the homogeneous equation:

y'' + x*y = 0

Am I right in thinking you need to solve this with series?

No need to actually do it, I just need to know if it is possible otherwise (like variation of parameters or something else).

Physics news on Phys.org
can you use integrating factor?

For a 2nd order equation? I know how to do that for first order but not second order equations.

The homogeneous equation looks like the Airy equation...

Ah, so only power series is it then?

That's fine. It's just for some reason I thought I wasn't understanding some kind of trick to give a general solution.

It's almost like I saw an integral of
[tex]
\int e^x^2 dx
[/tex]

Which of course can only be done with power series, and thought I could integrate it and give a nice general solution.

You could say that you get a "nice" general solution by dubbing it as Ai(x)..:biggrin:

If y1 is known, you can use reduction of order to solve this.

if memory serves me correctly, the Airy equation is proportional to a Bessel function of 1/3 order...Look out there online.

Has anyone tried this one in MAPLE? There might be a Bessel function integrating factor of the homogeneous equation (just interested, that's all, Max's link gives the answer).

Mathematica gives:

Edit: Something too long or not properly formatted for PF to handle... But it was pretty much the Airy function.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
The homogenous equation:
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+xy=0[/tex] is a negative sign off the Airy equation:
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}-xy=0[/tex]

Therefore the solution of the original DE
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+xy=x^2[/tex] is given by
[tex] y = CAiryAi(-x) + DAiryBi(-x)+x[/tex]

where AiryAi and AiryBi, are independant solutions of the Airy equation.

Indeed the Airy functions are related to the Bessel functions.

Finally one can expland the answer as a series with the Gamma function appearing everywhere - nasty.

Last edited:

1. Can 2nd order differential equations be solved without using series?

Yes, there are several methods for solving 2nd order differential equations without using series, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms.

2. What is the benefit of using methods other than series to solve 2nd order differential equations?

Using methods such as undetermined coefficients and Laplace transforms can often provide a quicker and more straightforward solution compared to using series. Additionally, these methods may be more applicable to real-world problems.

3. Are there any limitations to solving 2nd order differential equations without series?

While methods such as undetermined coefficients and Laplace transforms can be powerful tools, they may not be able to solve all types of 2nd order differential equations. In some cases, series solutions may be necessary.

4. How do I know which method to use when solving a 2nd order differential equation?

The method used to solve a 2nd order differential equation will depend on the specific equation and its initial conditions. It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of each method and choose the one that is most suitable for the given problem.

5. Can 2nd order differential equations be solved using a combination of methods?

Yes, it is possible to use a combination of methods to solve a 2nd order differential equation. For example, you may use undetermined coefficients to find the general solution and then use variation of parameters to find a particular solution that satisfies given initial conditions.