Why Does Extracting Density Affect My Moment of Inertia Calculation?

This results in I=M/2r^2In summary, the process of deriving the moment of inertia for a cylindrical object involves using the formula I=\int r^2 dm, which can also be written as \int r^2 p dV. When integrating, it is necessary to pull out the density, p, which is a constant. The final answer should be I=M/2r^2, but when leaving p in the integral, the result is I=Mr^2. This discrepancy can be resolved by replacing dm with pdV and then p with M/V, resulting in I=M/2r^2.
kuahji
I'm attempting to derive the moment of inertia for a cylindrical object.

I know that I=[tex]\int r^2 dm[/tex]

which equals =[tex]\int r^2 p dV[/tex]

My question begins here, the derivations I seen pull p out of the integral, which makes sense to do, because in this case it's a constant. p=M/([tex]\pi[/tex]r^2L). So if I don't pull p out before integrating I get I=Mr^2, if I do pull it out, I get I=M/2r^2. I know the answer should be I=M/2r^2 because I have a solid cylindrical object. So why am I getting a different result when I leave p in, & a different result when I pull p out or am I just making a silly math error?

Below is my work when I leave p inside the integral

I=[tex]\int r^2*p*(2\pi*r)dr[/tex]
=2M[tex]\int r dr[/tex] (replacing p with M/([tex]\pi[/tex]r^2L) before integrating)
=Mr^2

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that density is constant for each material.

p/s: you replace m = DV, then you replace D = M/V... I don't get it :(

I replaced dm with pdV & then p with M/V.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is also known as angular mass or rotational inertia.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by taking the integral of the mass distribution of the object multiplied by the square of the distance from the object's axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. In other words, moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of mass in an object, while mass does not.

4. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units of mass and distance used in the calculation. In the SI system, the units are kilogram-meter squared (kg·m^2).

5. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia determines how much torque is needed to cause an object to rotate at a certain angular acceleration. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration compared to objects with a lower moment of inertia.