Work Done by Tension of Mass on a string

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by tension on a 2.0 kg mass spinning in a horizontal circle at a speed of 12 m/s on a 0.66 m long string. The correct answer is option B, 1810 J, calculated by multiplying the centripetal force (4.36 N) by the displacement (4.15 m). The conversation also emphasizes the importance of correctly punching numbers and considering the direction of force and displacement for work to be done.
rent981
1.A 2.0 kg mass is spun in a horizontal circle at the end of a 0.66 m long string at a speed of 12 m/s. What is the work done by tension when the mass has gone halfway around the circle?

A) 576 J B) 1810 J C) 904 J D) 0

Homework Equations

Fc=mv^2/r and w=f*d

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I first calculated the centripital force using the first equation. (2kg)(12m/s^2)/.66 and got 4.36N. The I used work=f*d and got 8.17. This is not even an answer. Any sugestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first of your results computes a force but doesn't include include a path length. Also the math is way off 288/0.66= 4.36?

Oh hahaha calculator error. I did calculate the path to be about 4.15 m so the answer would be B 1810 J. W=436 * 4.15=1810. Does this sound about right?

The question states the displacement is 1/2 a rev.

Remember, there is a dot product in the work equation.
W=F dot D

If you haven't had dot products yet, you've had...

W=FD Cos(theta)

Where theta is the angle between the force and displacement vector.

With circular motion, what is the direction of the force vector?
what is the direction of the displacement vector?

I knew there was something that bothered me about this problem.

Well the cos 180 is equal to -1. There are no negative choices.

To the op, what flatmaster is saying in order for work to be done, the force has to be at least somewhat in the direction of displacement. This problem is like moving a mass horizontally in a gravitational field. We were going to get there, but now that the cat has been sprung loose...

So are we saying that the work would be zero since the force is in the opposite direction of displacement?

Not opposite but perpendicular. Think about it: if work were done by tension the speed of a ball on a string would dramatically slow with every revolution. The reason I dragged you thru the calculations is that unless you can punch numbers correctly, this is an exercise in futility--you may have the right approach but screw up simple calcs, causing you to doubt your reasoning. I can't tell you how often I see this as a teacher. Many of my courses are calculator taboo for this very reason. Ball park estimates to test your results are important. You mucked up both the force and the displacement computations. Its like the old carpenters saw, measure twice, cut once.

Thank you for your help!

1. What is work done by tension of mass on a string?

The work done by tension of mass on a string is the amount of energy transferred when an object attached to a string is lifted or moved by the tension force of the string. It is a measure of the force applied over a distance.

2. How is work done by tension of mass on a string calculated?

The work done by tension of mass on a string is calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the tension force, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

3. What factors affect the work done by tension of mass on a string?

The work done by tension of mass on a string is affected by the magnitude of the tension force, the distance over which the force is applied, and the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

4. Why is work done by tension of mass on a string important?

Work done by tension of mass on a string is important because it is a fundamental concept in the study of mechanics and is used to calculate the energy transferred in various situations, such as lifting objects or moving them along a horizontal surface.

5. Can the work done by tension of mass on a string be negative?

Yes, the work done by tension of mass on a string can be negative if the tension force is in the opposite direction of the displacement. This means that the string is doing work on the object, rather than the object doing work on the string.