Solve Series Circuit: 10V Current Calculations

In summary: So, the same current goes through the source and the resistors, 10V.The total resistance of the circuit is the sum of the resistances of each component, R1 + R2 + R3 = 10 + 2.5 + 2.5 = 15 ohms.
magnifik

Homework Statement

RESOLVEDRESOLVEDRESOLVEDRESOLVEDRESOLVEDRESOLVEDRESOLVEDRESOLVED
the fact that the source voltage is 10 V is given, and i need to find the current through this voltage.

Homework Equations

Ldi/dt + IR = v0coswt
w = omega but i don't know how to do the special symbols

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried finding the total inductance and total resistance first
i got L = .016 and R = 2.5
so now i have .016di/dt + I(2.5) = 10cos(625t) and basically i don't know what to do after that

am i using the wrong equation or getting the wrong values for L and R?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
magnifik said:

Homework Statement

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8089/74283078.jpg
this is a series RL circuit problem. the fact that the source voltage is 10 V is given, and i need to find the current through this voltage.

Homework Equations

Ldi/dt + IR = v0coswt
w = omega but i don't know how to do the special symbols

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried finding the total inductance and total resistance first
i got L = .016 and R = 2.5
so now i have .016di/dt + I(2.5) = 10cos(625t) and basically i don't know what to do after that

am i using the wrong equation or getting the wrong values for L and R?

Youre value for the parallel combination of the inductors is correct, but your value for the series combination of the resistors is incorrect. Check that part again.

You are correctly writing the form of the differential equation to solve for I(t). Once you fix the resistance value, just solve it like you normally would solve for a differential equation with a sinusoid involved.

Or, you could use phasor math instead. Are you familiar with how to use the complex impedances in the circuit to solve using the phasor method?

Last edited by a moderator:
is R 10? is it not parallel?
i am not familiar with the phasor method.

When you connect LR circuit to a sinusoidal voltage, the inductive reactance XL = ω*L
and total impedance of the circuit is
Z = sqrt(R^2 + XL*2). And
i(rms) = V(rms)/Z.

rl.bhat said:
When you connect LR circuit to a sinusoidal voltage, the inductive reactance XL = ω*L
and total impedance of the circuit is
Z = sqrt(R^2 + XL*2). And
i(rms) = V(rms)/Z.

does this equation work for the problem even though it says to find Is max?

Yes.

okay is this right...
Z=sqrt[R^2 + XL^2]
R = 10
XL = 625 * .016 = 10
Z=sqrt[200]
Z=14.1421
I = V/Z
I = 10/14.1421 = .7071 A

magnifik said:
is R 10? is it not parallel?
The resistors are not in parallel. For two elements to be in parallel, the ends of each component need to be connected to the same two nodes. The two inductors, for example, are in parallel because one end of both inductors is connected to the top dot, and the other end is connected to the bottom dot. The resistors, on the other hand, are not in parallel. The right end of the top resistor is connected to the top dot while the right end of the bottom resistor is connected to the bottom dot.

The resistors and the voltage source are connected in series: they are connected end to end, and all the current that goes through one element goes through the others as well.

What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is an electrical circuit in which the components are connected one after the other, forming a single path for the flow of current. This means that the current is the same at all points in the circuit.

How do you calculate the current in a series circuit?

To calculate the current in a series circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So the equation would be I = V/R. In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances, so you can also use the equation I = V/(R1+R2+...+Rn).

What is the voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is the same at all points. This means that the total voltage of the circuit is equal to the sum of individual voltages. For example, in a circuit with three 5V batteries, the total voltage would be 15V.

Can you have a series circuit with more than two components?

Yes, a series circuit can have any number of components connected in a single loop. The total resistance would be the sum of all individual resistances, and the current would be the same at all points in the circuit.

How do you solve for the resistance in a series circuit if the current and voltage are known?

To solve for resistance in a series circuit, you can rearrange Ohm's Law to R = V/I. This means that the resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. You can also use the equation R = (V1+V2+...+Vn)/I, where V1, V2, etc. are the individual voltages of each component in the circuit.