How can pressure changes affect tidal energy generation?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on conducting an experiment for their final year project, which involves analyzing a tidal generator patent. They plan to use the conservation of energy principle and the venturi experiment to demonstrate that a change in pressure can accelerate fluid flow. However, they are having trouble designing the experiment and are looking for suggestions and improvements. They also mention not wanting to put this in the homework section and seek opinions from others.
Physicsameture
Hi everyone, its been a while since i posted on here but i thought i could do with all your help once again lol.

Im in my final year of my degree now and half way through my final year project which is basically to analyse a tidal generator patent show the basic principles with a practical model. So far i am going down the conservation of energy road so we know that all the energy going in (in terms of fluid flow) is what must come out. Now what i want to prove is that a change in pressure (ideally and increase) will accelerate the fluid flow. I plan to do this via the venturi experiment. Now the trouble i am having is designing an experiment that can show this based on my model i plan to create.

The model i have designed is very simple basically a shoe box which allows fluid to flow through it. The area of the housing will be smaller than the vessel the water is flowing in (a tide generator). So i know the initial flow rate in the tide generator as this is set. I then plan to take measurements as the water flows through my designed vessel.

My question is, is there any way in which to improve on what i have or any suggestions in any other experiments i could conduct which must include my designed housing.

All help is greatly appreciated, i did not want to put this in the home work section as i don't really consider it home work, i just want your opinions on what else i can do. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you talked to your advisor about this? My senior design project had a very structured process. And I remember that despite very ambitious goals, the actual productive output of the project was somewhat disappointing...

Anyway, I'm not sure how a generic experiment about a well-established scientific principle has any bearing on the analysis of a tidal power system. I'd make the experiments specific to the system being analyzied (in other words, build and test a simplified prototype).

1. What is tidal power and how does it work?

Tidal power is a form of renewable energy that harnesses the power of ocean tides to generate electricity. This is done by building structures, such as dams or turbines, in areas where there is a large difference in water levels between high and low tides. As the tides come in and out, the water flows through these structures, spinning turbines and generating electricity.

2. What are the advantages of using tidal power?

One of the main advantages of tidal power is that it is a renewable and clean source of energy, meaning it does not produce greenhouse gas emissions or contribute to air pollution. It also has the potential to be more reliable and predictable than other forms of renewable energy, such as wind or solar power.

3. What are the potential drawbacks or challenges of using tidal power?

One major drawback of tidal power is the high initial cost of building the necessary infrastructure. Additionally, tidal power is only feasible in certain locations where there is a large difference in tidal range, which limits its widespread use. There may also be environmental concerns, such as the impact on marine life and ecosystems.

4. How do scientists conduct experiments with tidal power?

Scientists may conduct experiments with tidal power by building small-scale models or prototypes and testing them in controlled environments, such as laboratories or tanks. They may also conduct field experiments by installing and monitoring tidal power systems in the ocean.

5. What are the potential future developments for tidal power?

As technology advances and the demand for renewable energy increases, it is possible that tidal power could become more widely used and integrated into existing energy systems. There may also be advancements in the design and efficiency of tidal power systems, making them more cost-effective and environmentally friendly.