Magnetic Field Calculation for Current-Carrying Wire

In summary, the conversation is about a two-part question involving finding the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at a certain distance from an infinitely long wire carrying a current. The attempt at a solution provided an equation for the magnitude of the magnetic field, and then plugged in the given values for the second part. The conversation concludes with the realization that this is a relatively easy problem and a reminder to double check the direction.
creativepinky

Homework Statement

This is a two part question I just want to check I'm on the right track - it just seems too easy to be worth the marks they're given so apologies now if I'm stating the obvious:

a) Write down an equation for the magnitude B of the magnetic field at a distance D away in a vacuum from an infinitely long wire carrying a current i.

b) Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at the point O located at a distance D=10cm form a wire carrying a current i = 1.0A directed into the page.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I've got B(D)= (μ_0 i)/2πD

Where μ_0 is the permeability of free space constant at 4π x 10^-7 T m A-1

for b) I've just put the figures into the above equation, giving:

B(D) = (4 x 3.14 x 10^-7) x 1A / (2 x 3.14) x 0.1m

That just seems far too easy - what am I missing? Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing that this is indeed an easy problem. :wink:

I hope you got the direction right in the second part.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can act on moving charged particles. It is created by the movement of electric charges and can be detected by its effect on other magnetic materials.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of electric charges. This can occur naturally, such as in the Earth's core, or can be artificially generated through the use of electromagnets.

3. What are the units of measurement for magnetic fields?

The standard unit for measuring magnetic fields is the Tesla (T). However, smaller units such as Gauss (G) or Oersted (Oe) are also commonly used.

4. How does a magnetic field affect objects?

Magnetic fields can affect objects in different ways depending on their properties. Ferromagnetic materials, such as iron, can be magnetized and attracted to a magnetic field. Electrically charged particles can also be deflected or accelerated by magnetic fields.

5. How can magnetic fields be used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in everyday life. They are used in compasses for navigation, motors and generators for electricity production, and in medical devices such as MRI machines. They are also essential in many modern technologies, such as computers and smartphones.